Cypress Springs(12-28) and Vortex Spring(12-29) Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
cavern4.sized.jpg

Cavern opening at Cypress Springs

FreshEel.sized.jpg

Freshwater Eel - notice the shells embedded in the limestone - pretty nifty - Cypress Springs

RockBass2.sized.jpg

Drunk looking fish, not positive on what it is(I think some kind of bass), but they are in all the caverns along the panhandle springs. This is in Cypress Springs

You can find more from this dive at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album45

This is a borrowed setup - SeaLife DC310 w/external strobe

I have pics to ~20 dives on my gallery website, the majority taken with this camera. The camera belongs to a friend of mine who rarely dives - which works in my favor.

I should have another Oly by the end of Jan or early Feb *crosses fingers*

*Geology Lecture*

The shells you see are fossil remants of the vast coral reef that once was Florida. The limestone and dolomite that form Florida caves eroded over timed due to the action of carbonic acid and water flow exposing these fossil remnants. Some caves have more than others. Jackson Blue, for example, has numerous sand dollars and sea biscuits embedded in the walls, as well as fossilized elkhorn coral littering the floor. Farther back in the system one frequently sees sea biscuits lying in the silt on the floor. I once found a shark's tooth (a large one) embedded by the edge of one root in a rock on the floor in the Banana (terminal) room there- the tooth still had enamel. Sally Ward spring in Wakulla Springs State Park has a large boulder in one tunnel. Upon closer inspection one finds it is actually a fossilized brain coral.

Cool, thanks for the info - very interesting :)

My arms gave out before I got all the way to Cypress and Beckton was too tannic to take pics in so all I have are topside of the canoe trip. It was a challenge to keep water drops OFF the lens this trip :D. Later in the day my attempts failed.

Morning at Vortex - Ice on the table and Steam on the water

26242icesteam-med.jpg

Cypress tree along flooded Holmes creek

26242root-med.jpg

The Boys - Mikey and Mat - They liked the trees better than the open creek for some reason :D

26242bugtrees-med.jpg

The Girls - Darcy and Liza - I never did get a "face" shot of Liza, she kept hiding

26242girls-med.jpg

The final leg - as the sun goes down on Holmes creek

26242holmes1-med.jpg

It was a great trip!

louisianadiver:
Hey, suprbugman. I thought Cypress Springs was bought by a water-bottling company and closed to divers. Did you have to get special permission to dive there? -Clay
My 2 cents worth of info:

The land is privately owned but the waterway belongs to the public. You can only get to the spring by canoe and the land surrounding it is off limits. It seems the bottling company never got the permits they needed. The only bad thing is that there is no land access to the spring - but this has the silver lining that there are no crowds either :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom