Cylinder Database?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSUDive

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some new tanks and am wondering if anybody has ever catalogued all the tanks out there for a reference.

I know a scubaboard memerb here has done this for backplates, but I've been trying to compile a list of a lotta tanks out there so I can decide exactly which ones to get.

Trying to eliminate weight and size, but keep capacity and bouyancy is hard to figure out.

I can't help you with a database, but I can point in a good direction as to what tank to get.

A little information about my diving. I live in Fort Lauderdale and dive mostly off the beach and often on boats and charters. I almost always wear just a 3mm shorty, but I might have to change that for this winter.

I use to dive nothing but the standard aluminum 80's but just switched to a steel hp 100. It is about 2 inches shorter than the standard aluminum and only weighs about 1 pound more. So what!!??! Well, I also get 25% air, only wear 4 lbs of lead in my pockets, and my trim underwater is much better.

Now to the down side of it. It's more expensive, about $300 new, but from what I've read and heard, they last forever if properly maintained.

Hope this helps.

This is the best one I have come across....
http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

To help in your decision process here is an old post of mine that walks through the explanation of what "aabond" is enjoying. You can of course substitute the specs for any other cylinder. I did an apple to apple comparison of 2 80 CF cylinders.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

Pete

FSUDive:
I'm looking at getting some new tanks and am wondering if anybody has ever catalogued all the tanks out there for a reference.

I know a scubaboard memerb here has done this for backplates, but I've been trying to compile a list of a lotta tanks out there so I can decide exactly which ones to get.

Trying to eliminate weight and size, but keep capacity and bouyancy is hard to figure out.

I have one built into my Air consumption Calculator web pages at
SAC Rate Calculator

If you click on "Calculate SAC Rate" in the left frame, a list of tanks will appear, clicking on a particular tank name will show a pop-up with mfr specs for that tank. It includes the data from the Huron site, as well as data I grabbed from several mfr's

The Heron Scuba is the best I've seen too.

Anyone who likes to fixate on minutae be warned, these charts are usually only approximate since they depend on the manufacturers' info which is not always accurate. PST in particular has put out a lot of incorrect figures over the years - take a look at the buoyancy swing on the PST 120s on the Huron chart, remembering that air weighs the same, about 7.5 lbs per 100 cf, regardless of what tank its in.

spectrum:

I have reviewed spec charts all over the net and the don't agree with each other. I also have found some will "cheat" the stats to give themselves a favorable number.
What we all need to know is;
  1. with or without valve
  2. salt water or fresh
  3. full and empty buoyancy

I got tired of engineers using Pro-E and other "calculating programs" and just filled a 55 gallon drum with water and weighed he cylinder with an accurate scale in and out of the water. You can calculate displacement by the change in weight from in air to in water. The sample tank I used weighed 37 lb in air and 5 lbs in water giving a freshwater dispalcement of 32 lbs (4 gallons) so in salt water (specific gravity of 1.022) displacement value would increase causing bouyancy to increase about 11 ounces, so buoyancy for tank in salt water would be negative 4 1/4 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom