Cyklon 2nd stage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Somehow I've ended up with 5 Cyklon 2nd stages. Three off of my two 5000's and two metal 300's I picked up at a yard sale this weekend. So my exploring of the Poseidon Service manual makes me think that all Cyklon 2nd stages are the same except for body. Black, yellow or metal. Are they all the same ? Should I use the metal on my 5000 ? Is the metal better ? Looks like I'll use the 300 first stages for paper weights, are they worth rebuilding ?

I think Poseidon's are a cult thing, or maybe a disease.

tnx don O

If they are a disease, i've definitely got it. (caution, i think it's contagious.)

The second stages are not exactly the same. although close enough you wouldn't be able to see a difference. You should be able to use the 300 seconds on a 5000 first without any problems.
However, the 300 seconds are designed to run with slightly different IPs. For safety's sake, if you wanted a metal second stage you may be better off just switching the body. this can be done without tools, and is very quick and simple. (as an aside: you can also get bodies in Red and Blue!)

As for the 300 firsts, i would say they are worth rebuilding. i quite like the 300 firsts as a nice compact first stage. even though they are not Poseidon's most refined reg, i still know ppl who wouldn't stray from using them. (i myself own a few and dive them regularly.) even rebuilding them and selling them would be worth the effort.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JE
(Poseidon Service Tech)

Edit: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109993

Thanks for the reply and the link that I haden't found. Answers just about all of my questions. Last question, any way to translate the Poseidon part numbers, (especially the o rings) to other numbers ? Buying the service kit's is a bit pricey for what you get for the second stages, not so bad for the first.

thanks don oakland

Hey, another Cyklon packrat :) But it's nothing to be ashamed of! They're great regs, and if you like how they work it's hard to use anything else. I have 2 old 300s, one 5000, and a few 2nd stages.

The main issue with the Cyklon 300 is that the 1st stage isn't balanced, so it has a huge IP swing on a 3000 psi tank. I find it breathes best on low pressure tanks - it's nice on steel 72s but kind of stiff on aluminum 80s. I wouldn't even think of using it on a high pressure tank! Also, the hose fittings are weird but you can get around that with adaptors. Otherwise it's a nice little compact reg and worth rebuilding if you can get parts.

The metal and plastic 2nd stages are slightly different - the mouthpiece is a lot wider on the metal ones. This actually effects the way they breathe, and I find the old metal design is a lot nicer. Other than that, they are identical and use the same parts. If you don't want to rebuild the old 2nd stages you just bought, you can always just swap the bodies out with your current ones.

Cyklons use non-standard LP seats, so you can't completely rebuild the 2nd stage using generic parts. Other than that, the orings in the 2nd stage aren't very critical anyways and shouldn't have to be replaced very often. Off the top of my head, the 2nd stage swivel is a standard 010, and I think the orifice takes an 008 (but don't take my word for it). Also, be aware that Cyklon diaphragms are quite expensive, and if your yard-sale regs are old enough they will probably need new ones.

Back
Top Bottom