Cutesy DM position advertised at Tampa Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhhhhhhhhhh - i forgot about that strange american custom!!

They don't tip in Australia? I was given a recommendation of 10% of the cost of the trip as compensation to the boat as a tip for my trip in December!

Definitely sounds like a good opportunity for an entry-level experience, someone working their way up the not-for-profit or research diving/marine education organization ladder, or someone who has time on their hands. These ads are always written as if they are seeking the chairman of the board but will usually settle for less. While the pay seems low, I know interns who do a lot more for a lot less and it is more that a lot of folks got paid for DM (a free trip, plus air, but you have to work half the dives and, oh by the way, carry my gear to and from the boat).

It would be a good part time for a Instructor...thats not doing anything..

"I would hope the aquarium would help with this aspect, because the shop insurance won't cover you outside the shop's work
or that's ~$250... 1-2 weeks work just to cover insurance... good luck
September 10th, 2007 09:12 PM "

As a DM or Ins you have to have Liability Insurance in your name to be in Status...

I would like to work in the aquarium as a voluntary, now i am in advance open water and working to get my dive master. i can work 3 day a week
please contact me

Patricio

As the Florida Aquarium's Dive Training Coordinator, I can tell you that the aquarium does reimburse your membership and insurance for full-time and 3 day-a-week part-time positions. We do have positions that only require a one-day-every-two-weeks commitment but can only reimburse 50% of membership and insurance at that point.

The positions are an excellent way to get experience in a unique environment and get paid for it. I'll be the first to say that we'd love to pay more, but folks who take these positions don't do it for the pay (if they did, we might have to question their sanity), they do it to be a part of a unique program which gives divers fun and educational experiences. Plus, I don't know of too many Divemaster positions which pay ANYTHING...I know I toted quite a few tanks when I was a Divemaster and didn't get a dime in return.

You forgot to mention that the DM's can't accept tips at the aquarium either.

Or has that changed ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom