cut off weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blurryshmo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
has anyone out there been so certain that they liked a weight belt better than integrated, that they cut the weight pockets off completely?

i have at knighthawk and i am thinking about it. the attached part of the weight pocket (weight pocket slot? ) is quite bulky, and if i am not using it.... or should i wait and see if i can find a use for them (so far i have started stuffing my mask into one of them, at the end of a dive, and that is kinda nice.)

bp/w might be in the future, so should i worry about resale of my knighthawk?

I wouldn't cut off the weight pockets since I think that would decrease the resale value of the BCD. You can still wear a weight belt below the cummerbund, right?

The Knighthawk is a solid rear-inflate BCD. If you do end up purchasing a BP/W, I'd hang onto the Knighthawk. You could lend it out to friends or use it as a backup. Also, should you end up becoming a divemaster or instructor, many LDSs don't sell BP/Ws and it is common practice for the LDS to require that their teaching pros use dive gear that the shop sells. In this case, if the LDS sells Scubapro gear, then you could just use your Knighthawk for classes. Something to think about...

Go with a BP/W and never look back. I used a Knighthawk for a little while until I tried a BP/W, then promptly sold my Knighthawk.

I cut the inregrated weights off my BCD.....

Then I sewed on heavy duty zippers so they go back on without anyone knowing they're even removable. I never use the pockets now. I'm not counting on getting much for it if I sell it anyway, so I don't think making the pockets removable would affect resale value. If you like I can take some photos with the pockets on and off.

If it's the weight pockets you're unhappy with, cut them off - if it's the jacket type BCD you're unhappy with, sell it and get what you can towards the BP/W upgrade.

Last edited:
I sold a knighthawk and bought a backplate/wing.

Just sell it.:wink:

I bought a bp/w and kept my knighthawk just in case uh... all the stuff bubbletrubble mentioned. The knighthawk is so popular that it also gets resold a lot on the BP/W upgrade. Unfortunately, that means the resale value kinda sucks compared to the purchase price, even brand new! I just figured, might as well keep it around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom