Custom wetsuits! Good idea???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id like to get a 3mm full suit custom made. I dont have exaggerated built and I was told that unless you have a bulging gut or are 7 foot tall a custom wetsuit is not going to feel much different than an off the shelf suit. Thoughts? opinions?

not entirely true. custom wet suits are an excellent idea for folks that don't fit the stock sizes properly that part is true. though each manufacturer is cut differently. personally I fit perfectly in Bare suits that are one size larger than the sizing chart says. I do not fit Henderson or Pinnacle. My daughter is way smaller than any suit made so she got a custom suit.

However custom suits also tend to be made of a better material - Rubatex. Check with each vendor of course. Rubatex is a nitrogen blown virgin neoprene rather than a chemically blown rubber that the major manufacturers use. Rubatex is a better insulator and one of its big benefits is that it does not compress anywhere near as much as normal wetsuit material. Which means it keeps its insulating properties much deeper - past 80 ft according to the demos I've seen.

When my Bare 7mm suit wears out I plan on getting a custom Rubatex 5/3 which I expect to be as good or better insulation especially at depth.

My daughters suit came from Wet Wear and is of good quality construction at a reasonable price and quick turn around.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the custom wetsuit. I had to send my first one back for some rather minor adjustments. Spectrum seems to think that this is a big pain, but if that's what it takes......oh well. Not all of live in cities that offer such a service. When you plan on purchasing a wetsuit just keep that in mind that several adjustments may be necessary. Alos, keep in mindd that it is up to you to take very precise measurements.
SWT.

I am very happy with my wetwear custom. I was fitted at the Lauterdale show, and I then tried on the 80% finished product at the shop. Tweaking the fit does allow a perfect fit, and you then carry very little water in the suit. Rubatex does compress less, it also feels thicker in a given thickness. Dont forget the seals and pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom