Custom Wetsuit Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking around for a tropical water 3mm shorty. I'm 5'9" tall, have a 32" waist and a 44" chest. Every size chart I look at has the minimum waist about 2" too big and the maximum chest size about 2" too small. Anyone order a custom wetsuit? Any experiences to share? Thanks.

What is your weight? If you are looking for a thin shorty for warmish water, a very tight fit is not necessary. In fact, a slightly looser suit will be more comfortable, easier to get on and off and might even last longer if you aren't fighting with it every time you put it on. In short, it doesn't have to fit that well.

I suspect you can get by with in inexpensive, off the rack suit.

Also, unless you have an aversion to wetsuits or are diving in water well over 80 degrees, you might like a full one-piece, 2-3 mm suit gives you a little more warmth and full body protection from stingers and the sun on the boat if it is not too hot. A shorty suit has limited use for me, sometimes I wear one over a lycra dive skin.

In 80F and warm weather, I was fine in a T-shirt and shorts. After a few days of 3-4 dives a day, a shorty was nice. I only wore a full suit on a wreck dive in case I bumped into something. I much preferred the shorty.

Hey RobPNW,

We're happy to help you with a custom suit. We don't yet have shortys on our website, but we definitely make them. Maybe give the shop a call tomorrow and let them know if you have any questions.

Best,
Derek & JMJ
JMJ makes quality suits and has tons of experience. If you go that route, they won't disappoint you.

Hey RobPNW,

We're happy to help you with a custom suit. We don't yet have shortys on our website, but we definitely make them. Maybe give the shop a call tomorrow and let them know if you have any questions.

Best,
Derek & JMJ
I would like to order but I am located in europe

Kalypse is in France, Camaro is in Austria. Both make custom wetsuits. My wife has two from Kalypse and loves them. Not sure if they make shorty's though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom