Custom wetsuit for a big/tall man?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I realize this question has probably been asked before, if so, I apologize. I tried to search the subject, but could not find anything.

Our son has just received his certificaton. He is a big boy, not fat, just big. He is 6'5" and weighs 270. He has very broad shoulders and long legs. He was told by his instructors that he would be better off having a custom wetsuit made.

We are a "water" family and I have no doubt that he will continue diving. We live near the Monterey/Santa Cruz area, so he will need a warm suit.

Could someone please recommend a custom wetsuit tailor? We can travel to get the suit that would best suit his needs. I know this sounds strange, but some outfits are more adept at making larger sized things than other.

During my limited research, I have come across AquaFlite, Otter Bay, Pinnacle Wetsuits, JMJ Westsuits and Coral Reef? Are one of them known for making far better quality suits than the others?

We have been involved with enough different endeavors in our lives to learn that there is a learning curve and what "newbies" buy usually are not what people who have some history do.

Thanks so much, for your time and patience.

I'm 6'2 and 320.
I use a pinnacle endeavor 7mm.
King one.
They also have a king 2. Look at them.
I really love it.
7mm by itself in 42 water 2weekends ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Try Heat Wave in Santa Cruz.
I haven't had them make me a suit yet, but the reviews are good and they can make a suit up to 10 mil thick for the commercial urchin guys, and of course everything in between.
The great thing about custom suits besides the fit is the options of different grades and densities of materials available.
My last two custom suits I got from M&B wetsuits in Long Beach. I like Don at M&B but some people have horror stories so I can only say that I've had good luck personally.
Otter Bay and JMJ are two others that people like.
Aquaflite has good reviews too.

My next suit, I think I will try Heat Wave.

A Waterproof should fit him right off the rack. I'm 6'2 300 and mostly muscle and bone, although at 50 I've developed this pesky dunlop. Anyway, the XXXL waterproof fits me right off the shelf. I'd try him in a XXL tall. Their fit chart is right on.

If you really need a custom made suit, try WETWEAR in florida. They use rubatex and are very good suits, pricey, but good. Mine lasted well over 10 years before it "shrank" around my belly.

If you really need a custom made suit, try WETWEAR in florida. They use rubatex and are very good suits, pricey, but good. Mine lasted well over 10 years before it "shrank" around my belly.
They use Rubatex?
I thought Rubatex went out of business years ago.
In fact, I got one of the last suits made out of 1/2" Rubatex lycra/skin G231N original nitrogen blown rubber in the nation.
M&B in Long Beach made it for me. He was the Rubatex king and knew every source available.

I'm curious to know what this new Rubatex is that Wetwear is using?

They use Rubatex?
I thought Rubatex went out of business years ago.
In fact, I got one of the last suits made out of 1/2" Rubatex lycra/skin G231N original nitrogen blown rubber in the nation.
M&B in Long Beach made it for me. He was the Rubatex king and knew every source available.

I'm curious to know what this new Rubatex is that Wetwear is using?

Contact them, I am sure that Connie will have all the answers you need.

Rubatex went out of business in 2010, but a quick google search shows that Insul*fab still stocks it.

Thank you all so very much for being so gracious. I have seen other forums that would have chewed me up and spit me out! We are going to check out Heat Wave in Santa Cruz and there is one place between Corning and Susanville. Sorry, can't remember their name right now and I gave all of my 'intel" to our kid. He has gone through many sports, but I think this one is a keeper.

You people are truly kind, thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom