Custom prescription lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking for a company that makes custom prescription lenses.

I don't want the kind you glue to the stock lenses ... I want the kind that replace them.

I want to provide my own masks (one for me and one for Cheng) and prescriptions. Mine are bifocals, hers are trifocals.

And I want a company that knows how to adapt the prescription for underwater lenses.

Have any of you ordered your own (independent of having a dive shop do it for you)? Who did you use? And how did you like the result?

I've done some Internet research, and have found three companies that fit the criteria ... I'd like to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience with getting prescription masks made for them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't want the kind you glue to the stock lenses ... I want the kind that replace them.

I want to provide my own masks (one for me and one for Cheng) and prescriptions. Mine are bifocals, hers are trifocals.

And I want a company that knows how to adapt the prescription for underwater lenses.

Have any of you ordered your own (independent of having a dive shop do it for you)? Who did you use? And how did you like the result?
I've used Prescription Dive Mask down in San Diego, and will soon use them again as my prescription has changed a bit.

They bond flat lenses onto the mask rather than do a full replacement. A mask they did 8 years ago is still in perfect condition.

They do indeed know how to adapt the prescription for underwater lenses. More importantly, they take into account the greater eye to lens distance of a mask as compared to normal eyeglasses --- that is the real issue in lens for masks.

One of the owners, Linda, was very helpful and informative when I inquired about a lens that optimized for 20' range rather than infinity. She also responded with clear explanations of the technical problems when I inquired about the possibility of a variable focal length (aka varifocal or no-lines bifocal) lens.

Charlie Allen

I have also gotten several mask from PDM. Always been happy with the results. I am unaware of any company that makes custom lenses that are replacements for mask. Let us know if you find one and the results if you use them. Mine are bifocal and the prescription was "tweeked" for camera use. The bifocal was raised higher than normal and the diopter of the BF was increased....fixed that blasted little text on the camera..

More kudos here for Linda at Prescription Dive Masks. Fantastic workmanship and service.

All the best, James

Bob, the opt. shop across the street from Bubbles did our masks. They are glued on lenses so maybe they won't meet your criteria but it is done by the opt. people and my eye insurance covered part of the expense as a pair of glasses!

I'm looking for a company that makes custom prescription lenses.

I've done some Internet research, and have found three companies that fit the criteria ... I'd like to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience with getting prescription masks made for them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My LDS ordered mine from Scuba Optics but you might be able to order directly from them. I have had two prescription masks and had no problems with either of them. Both were full lens replacements. I didn't want a stick-on lens either (even if it is less expensive).
The turn-around was relatively quick. The LDS faxed them a copy of the prescription and indicated what type of mask was coming. By doing so they had the lens ready when the mask arrived. At that point they just had to pop the lens into the mask and ship them back. My glasses have progressive lenses.

The info was pasted from a Google search.

Scuba Optics
(815) 625-7272

1405 8th Ave
Rock Falls, IL 61071

Another vote for PDM in San Diego. Have had several pairs of masks done over the years by them and they really do a great job.

Scubamax

I've used SeaVisionUSA.com. I have severe astigmatism and can't use anything but prescription masks since the LDS lenses only correct for diopter. They also do bifocals, although mine aren't. Simply fill in the prescription on-line and they ship it to you.

Mine work great. I am blind without my glasses and, instead of running to get my glasses on the dive boat, I just keep my mask on while switching tanks, etc. I look like a dork, but the mask works as well as my glasses even on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom