Custom ground, or bonded??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'm ready to send off my new atomic subframe mask for RX lenses, with bifocal on one side. does Prescription Dive Mask do bonded, or custom ground replacement lenses? and which does seavision do? any disadvantage with the bonded?? advice please? i want to get this right! thanks!

I'm ready to send off my new atomic subframe mask for RX lenses, with bifocal on one side. does Prescription Dive Mask do bonded, or custom ground replacement lenses? and which does seavision do? any disadvantage with the bonded?? advice please? i want to get this right! thanks!

The bonded lenses provide one more place for crud to collect.
I think it is much easier to keep the replacement lenses clean and defogged.

Just a thought and I have not kept up with Atomic on this so I hope others will clarify.......

Atomic is using a proprietary coating and I believe they were also going to be offering script service. It may be worth looking into having them do the script to avoid defeating features of this highly engineered mask.

I have had fine luck with overlays on my common mask.

Pete

if i'm not mistaken, i believe that atomic aquatics uses Prescription Dive Masks to do their Rx work. i'm thinking that custom ground is probably better, but is probably pretty expensive.

What I generally see is 2 camps....

If your need is such that you can be corrected with stock lenses and a mask that fits you offers stock lenses then it become a no brainer. Cash & carry, done.

If your prescription includes "cylinder" correction of 1 or more then you will be best served by custom overlays that take this into account. Cylinder correction is usually for astigmatism. If that mask that fits you like a dream does not offer stock corrective lenses then go with overlays.

Two more points about price...
1. Consider your overall scuba investment. What's $50 extra on a mask?
2. The most expensive gear is the stuff that sees early retirement because it was never what you wanted or needed.

Pete

Prescription Dive Masks does bonded and, no, crud doesn't collect around the lenses -- they're glued to the inside of the mask -- how much crud gets in there to begin with? -- but the Atomic coating warning should be researched before you change anything.

SeaVision grinds replacement lenses and, at least in my experience, isn't good about matching the original rim thickness. Though this isn't applicable to you, I'm posting this for others. I had several framed masks weep and eventually the rim-tabs broke off because the rims were thicker than the lens pocket. When I spoke with SeaVision about it, they told me that matching lens thickness perfectly to the mask wasn't part of the job and I'd have better luck if I bought a mask from them. I couldn't go that route because I have a small face and need a junior mask, which they didn't offer at the time. Given the number of fans SeaVision has, I'll assume that my problem was unusual.

Went to Prescription Dive Masks after that. Their work is top notch -- my mask doesn't weep. the lenses are glass and deliver much better corrections than those that SeaVision had made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom