Currents in Similans...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueAlf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I'll be making a trip to the Similans on a LOB end of the month. I was certified just over a year ago and have made abt 27 dives thus far.

I'm just wondering, would it be tough diving there? I'm still not that comfortable diving in strong currents. Reading various guide books on Similans, the currents there are rated as generally "moderate to strong" - whatever that means...!

Any comments/advise?

Thanks.

I can only tell you of my experience.
Before I had my trip to the Maldives, I was sure that drift diving is not for me.
I was afraid that I'm not fit for that and these kind of dives are only for the "navy seals".
Strong currents do require somewhat good fitness and endurance but they are really
for all divers who are OK and don't have physical problems.
What I do is, first I talk with the DM and tell him/her that in case of a VERY strong current, if I can't swim against it, I go with it.
On a LOB you should try and find a buddy that matches you in experience so you can go together with, in case of a too strong current, pending on notifying the DM prior to the dive.
When diving in a strong current, there are only few minutes of diving against it,
the rest of the dive is with the current, so you need not worry too much.
Enjoy!

The only site where I've encountered very strong current/rough condition (in the Similans, in February) is Elephant Head Rock (aka Skull Rock, Pusa Rock). This site was quite beautiful but has been damaged by the tsunami. Some sites in the Similans are/can be drift dives, for example, East of Eden at Koh Payu (island 7).

Don't worry, generally speaking, diving in the Similans is not very challenging. You may also encounter some current at nearby Richelieu Rock and Koh Bon/Tachai.

I've dived in the Similans on two liveaboard trips, both in January, a year apart. generally the currents were fine. I experienced strong currents at Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai last year (late January), and this year the strongest current I encountered was at Deep Six (which has been damaged by the tsunami so I imagine most trips won't be diving this site for some time now). Most of the sites seem to have gentle current, just right for a nice drift dive, although it must vary depending on conditions etc. Richelieu Rock is further out to sea and so can get stronger currents.

If it helps to reassure you, I finished my open water in the similans last year and didn't have any problems with the currents. It certainly wasn't 'tough diving", some were a bit challenging but nothing too hectic. My guide book says the same thing, don't let it put you off, the diving in the similans is beautiful, even post tsunami.

have a great trip, I'm already envious!

BlueAlf:
Hi

I'll be making a trip to the Similans on a LOB end of the month. I was certified just over a year ago and have made abt 27 dives thus far.

I'm just wondering, would it be tough diving there? I'm still not that comfortable diving in strong currents. Reading various guide books on Similans, the currents there are rated as generally "moderate to strong" - whatever that means...!

Any comments/advise?

Thanks.

Currents will tend to vary with the tides and moon phases. Stronger around the full moon and new moon, and less around the half moons. If currents worry you, try to get a trip that fits the moon!

You can see phuket tide tables at :

www.phuketgazette.net/tides

Koh Tachai can be a tough dive site, but with no current is one of my favourites. Richelieu also can be harder on some days than others. The "reef" dives such as East of Eden, Hideaway, Breakfast Bend can have a mild current and can be dived as drift dives. The "rocky" sites such as Elephant Head, Fantasea reef, Boulder City can be less enjoyable if you jump in at the wrong time, and can be the best dives of the trip if dived with less current. A good boat with a good tour leader will make the best dives based on currents at the time.

Happy Diving!

This is not meant to discourage you; most of my 3 day visit was fine, and my dive buddy had only 26 dives and did ok too. That said do be mentally prepared, here and there the current out there 3.5- 4 CAN be a little daunting, will you have an SMB? You can find sheltered areas, otherwise you go with the flow...at one point, I think elephant head, I popped off the boat and turned around to retrieve my camera only to discover I'd been carried 25-30 away from the boat and there was no finning back 'till a line was thrown...just be prepared for it.

Agree with Sunrise and Moraygirl.
Regarding drifting away from the boat after the giant stride: since the current comes from the same direction for you and the boat, that probably just means the boat captain gave the 'jump signal' a little early, while the boat was still moving after the 'parking in'.

I just got back from my Similans/Koh Bon trip yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who have responded to the post. It really did help in mentally preparing me for the trip. I had a great time at the Similans! No regrets whatsoever!

As for the currents, there were just two dives that were very 'challenging' and I had to cling on to some rocks at the sea bed to avoid getting swept away while waiting for my buddy! It was great fun overall though - especially when doing the drift dives!

Also, I've finally learnt how to use the SMB! Not as difficult as I imagined it would be. Definitely feel more confident diving in currents now.

Once again, thanks everyone!

PS - oh, and for those that are undecided on whether it's ok to dive the Similans after the tsunami, well, JUST DO IT! I had a great time!

BlueAlf:
PS - oh, and for those that are undecided on whether it's ok to dive the Similans after the tsunami, well, JUST DO IT! I had a great time!

Very glad to hear it, BlueAlf. You are not alone in having a great time since the events of December 26th. Hope you can spread the word and maybe some back some day.

Back
Top Bottom