Curiousity Poll on Type 2 DCS

If you've ever suffered a Type 2 DCS hit - have you....

• Returned to diving with no restrictions and dive as you always have

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Returned to diving with no restrictions but dive more conservatively

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Returned to diving with restrictions by MD (depth, gas, times etc...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not been medically cleared to return to diving

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Self imposed restriction - No longer wish to dive.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrenchAngel

Reaction score
A very good friend of mine suffered a completely undeserved hit. After a trip to the chamber, they are awaiting final clearance from the Dr.

Reading lots of stuff on the internet about return with restrictions - no increased risk - increased risk - not diving anymore. Its all quite confusing - I'm curious of those who have been hit, whats their diving status now.

This can be totally anonymous - just answer the poll on top -

Thanks!

... suffered a completely undeserved hit.
There may well be a significant medical condition that brought on the hit.
The cause of the hit need be looked into & then the Doc & diver can figure out where to go from there.
I just avoid pushing the NDLs like the plague.

Dear SCUBA SOURCE Readers:

Underserved DCS

A familiar topic arises once again. The phrase underserved hit is a holdover from the Haldane model and refers to DCS when the mythic “table limits” have not been exceed. I am quite sure that this is a term derived from divers rather than scientists. Nothing associated with DCS is completely magical and problems could be traced if all conditions were known.

Some individuals simply are more susceptible to DCS than others. Why this is true is debatable, but most dive scientists would agree that there is a distribution to a response from a “dose” of nitrogen. Some will get DCS with a lower “dose” than others. This is demonstrable in the laboratory.

In the case of this diver, it is necessary to know several important conditions.
  • Is this a case of joint pain DCS or is this neurological DCS?
  • Was the diver working excessively both at the bottom and while topside?
  • Was the diver dehydrated and/or overly resting topside during the elimination phase.
None of these questions appear in the tables (or meters) but are commonly asked (or commented upon) in the “Ask Dr Deco” forum. Since they are not built into tables – but are still very important – they are diver controlled.

This Case of DCS

If this was neurological DCS, this can be rather random. One case, if bad enough, can warrant the end of diving if it is believed that suffice possibility for “rewiring” are no longer existent.

If it is Type I, it might indicate that the diver is in the susceptible or sensitive category and very conservative diving is warranted in the future. :scuba:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom