Curious on SCUBA jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Dive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently in a DM program in the Tampa Florida area and know when I complete it, the odds of earning any $ besides tips as a DM are slim. I also know instructors aren't paid tons of money, but if anyone is comfortable giving me an idea how much instructors are paid, I'd really appreciate it. That's not exactly a question I'm comfortable asking my instructor or other instructors at the same shop. I'm not expecting exact figures, I just want some sort of a general idea. Are we talking $20K a year? $30K?

Few make much of anything even if you do it full time. Your figures aren't far off. I know a few shops that will only give instructors free junk, no money at all.

I made a poor living at it the past few years but it was more about what I love doing rather than making a living.

Keep it as a second job,doing something that you really like to do..That said,dive facilities all seem topay different rates.Some pay next to nothing and others pay fairly decent..The facility I previously taught at paid poorly-example is teach ow from start to training dives for a class of 5-you got paid $300..
The facility I am at now pays hourly for academics and pool and by the head for training dives.So for the same class of 5 I have the potential of making $720..Amount of classes and training dives varies as area is seasonal and the needs of the business changes.I also teach privately -charge my own fee-and then the rate is better to the tune of $1500.class of 5 acad/pool and $1000. training dives.Of course out of that amount I pay for books and pool time.

Thanks guys! I've actually been leaning towards Oly's advice for some time now. It seems like an awesome second job, and seems like a pretty simple to start , doing private instruction on the side. As much as I'd love to be one of those people who could walk away from a good income to take a huge pay cut to do what he loves, that's just not an option for me. I like money, and I'm single, which makes me the only source of income in my house. I don't think the bank is going to much care if I took an enormous pay cut to reduce stress and do what I enjoy. They are still going to want the same amount of money the first of every month!

If you want to make a living teaching scuba ask an instructor that does it. Those of us who do this full time the salaries range from 20-30K to over 70K a year for experienced instructors that have a clientele making a living is no problem.
Instruction can be a great part time job but also you can make a living at it. As with most jobs the starting salaries are small but if you prove your worth to a good shop there are alot of good wage jobs out there in the industry.

hey there- I just noticed this thread. I work for a new company that wants to give independent instructors a fair shot (and a commission on the gear that their students buy).

I've worked for a dive shop here in SoCal in the past and noticed that a lot of instructors are forced to work with a dive center that pays them a pittance, and the indie instructors struggle because there's no support for them if they're not aligned with a store.

Our goal is to help the independent guy out and level the playing field. Or better yet, tip it in his favor :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom