Curacao Shore or Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluwolf

Reaction score
I've search through numerous threads, but couldn't really find an answer.

In 2003, my wife and I booked a trip to Bonaire for 7 days. As part of the package, we chose 3 boat dives per day (2 tank AM/1 tank PM). Honestly, I didn't do enough research at the time, so I was unaware of the shore diving, which is essentially the same as the boat diving with more freedom. And for what we paid for the boat diving, we could have paid most of the rental fee on the car which we did not have. For one day, we went ahead and rented a car and skipped the boat diving.

So here is my question which I have been unable to really find an answer to. In December, we are headed to Curacao for 7 days. This time we are going with a group from the local scuba shop. Part of the package they are offering is 2tank morning boat dive and unlimited shore diving, but no car.

If I book boat dives, will I regret it like I did Bonaire? In other words, is the shore diving worth not doing boat dives and renting a car instead? Are the sites as easily accessible from the shore as Bonaire?

Just looking for some comparisons of both from someone who has been to both in the past 5 years or so. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bluworth,

Most of the diving in Curacao is shore diving. You can right in and dive at dozens of beautiful beaches all along the south coast. You should definitely rent a car and go to a different beach every day. There aren;t that many dives for which you need a boat - Klein Curacao being one. Another alternative to renting a car is going on diving day trips with Mark and Suzy from the Dive Bus. The trip includes visits to two different beaches with a pic nic lunch in between. You can get more info at http://www.the-dive-bus.com/. They also have the best night dive on the island.

Diving in Curacao is great! Have fun!

Johanna

Ditto on the Dive Bus. Mark and Suzy are the greatest! If I ever get back to Curacao again I'll definitely be using them.

We stayed at Habitat in 2004. Took them up on the boat dives. 80% could have been done from shore. I think most of the boat moorings we're within 50 yds of the shore. There we're a few nice spots with difficult beach access, but there is plenty to dive there from shore. The house reef at Habitat was nice, great for night dives. I'd have gone nuts after a week with no car, staying there.

Where are you staying?

CHUD:
Ditto on the Dive Bus. Mark and Suzy are the greatest!

This is our plan.

We will be there in April and we are doing all of our dives through the Bus. I'll make sure to report back and let you know how it goes.

Based on everyone's recommendation, Mark and Suzy are top notch.

Thanks for the responses. It's what I kinda figured, but glad I asked. Appreciated more than you know, especially given what happened to us at Bonaire.

Staying at Sunset Waters - going with group from LDS, so no choice in that regards. Please hold any negative comments on that hotel, would hate to go there already down. But if you have positive remarks, I would love to hear them...would also like to know about the house reef.

Now I just have to check the package being offered and ensure I can opt out of the boat diving. Maybe I can talk to whoe group out of it, but probably not. Don't think they would understand unless they've been to Bonaire or Curasao before. One of those things you almost have to see to believe.

Thanks again.

Bluwolf,
I'll be going to Curacao and staying at Sunset Waters with my LDS in April. I'd be happy to give you a report when we get back.
Personally, I'm happy to have boat dives included. Humping my gear from the road to the water isn't my idea of a vacation!

Deborah

There are some really nice shore dives with super easy access. Places like Playa Kalki, Cas Abou, Porto Marie and Habitat, have lockers, rinse tanks, restaurants showers and bathrooms. You could even rent tanks there if you don't want to haul tanks from Sunset.

Don't knock it until you try it. What I like best about Curacao shore diving over boat diving is the total freedom. Dive when, where, for as long as you want. Most dive boats ask their divers to come up after an hour. My last shore dive at Porto Marie was 85 minutes.

I am also going to Curasao in late april with the same diveshop DRL. The of the contributing factors was the shore diving along with the boat dive. Just got a new photo setup and will use the shore diving for that at first.

When we were in Bonaire, we had a package of a limited number of boat dives and a truck for unlimited shore dive. That worked out well. From what I understand, shore diving isn't as easy in Curacao, as the distances are far longer between sites. I do notice, however, that getting a car/truck and lugging around tanks doesn't seem to be the "thing" to do there the way it is in Bonaire.

This doesn't help you, of course (sorry!), but I have been wondering about this myself. I hear the shore diving is great, there just don't seem to be as many people taking advantage of it as there are in Bonaire. At least, that's my impression.

Back
Top Bottom