Curacao Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

busted

Reaction score
I have heard a lot about security issues on Bonaire, as far as rental cars being broken into and things being stolen from some hotel rooms, etc. Does Curacao have similar problems. Is there a problem with rental cars being broken into while shore divin

I was there in July and no one mentioned any problems but I suspect that leaving a car in remote area may not be a good idea. There are quite a few pay to dive sites that are real reasonable. They provide a security of sorts, you have to pay to get in and it's a very long walk to get around the gate. I was a little put off at the idea of paying to dive but I admit I ended up quite happy at the sites. On Bonaire the sites are for the most part just reasonably smooth places to pull off the road. The pay sites on Curacao had nice wide white beaches, huts for shade, dive gear rinse tanks, restrooms and food ( pretty good and reasonable priced I might add). The entry cost was around $2 USD pp per day. One place even threw in a Coke in the entry price.
The problem on Bonaire tends to get blown way out of proportion. No doubt it does happen but in 8 trips since 99 no one that I have been traveling with has had any problems. Don't leave anything in the vehicle and leave the windows down.

On my first trip to Bonaire, on my first dive-away from the hotel, our car was robbed.

The problem on Bonaire is actually bigger than most people know. Several police reports a day. Not to mention the people who do not bother to report it because it was just a few unimportant items & not worth the trouble.

Curacao also has trouble with cars being robbed.

I agree with herman there is a small problem on bonaire with petty theft. It isn't as big an issue as people try to make it out to be.

I'd recommend you be as least as security-concious in Curacao as you would in New Orleans, or any other similar environ as a tourist. We didn't have any problems on either Bonaire nor Curacao (we spent a week on each, back-to-back), but messing around in town at night on Curacao is quite different from the same activity on Bonaire. Keep in mind Curacao is an industrial and shipping center for its real bread and butter, with tourism a nice addition to the economic base. The area where the movie theater is has loads of security personnel at night, and folks at the dive shop advised us that was the safest area for tourists at night, outside of whatever accomodations you're staying at. There are lots of restaraunts, clubs, etc. in that same area by the theater, and security personnel also outside in the large, well lit parking lotl.

Check out www.shorediving.com for both islands, then read all the comments posted on the Superior Producer site on Curacao. One person posted they surfaced from their shore dive to find their rental vehicle gone - not broken into, but gone!

We found the Curacao sites that charged a few guilders admission were great for our shore diving (Jan Thiel, Porto Marie, and the Barbara Beach area [where the Director's Bay dive site is]), and gave some sense of security for the vehicle with snack bar, restrooms, showers, rinse tanks, etc. all right handy. We did the Superior Producer as a boat dive, not as a shore dive. Honestly, a mix of boat and shore diving worked great for us on both islands; we split about 50/50 shore / boat on Curacao and more like 75 / 25 shore / boat on Bonaire.

The spare tire on the RAV4 we rented from Budget on Curacao, as well as the 4 wheels & tires on the ground, had a large orange stripe painted on them (tire and wheel). The rental car folks said this is how they discourage such theft on Curacao, and each rental company uses a different color.

Bonaire doesn't even make that much of an attempt like painting tires and wheels to discourage such petty theft. We had my wifes non-diving parents with us for several days on both islands, so I sprang for the 4 door truck with the most creature comforts while on Bonaire, and got a free upgrade from the basic insurance to full coverage using the following link. Be sure and print the page and present it at the counter when you arrive if you do the same thing, as this free upgrade wasn't exactly waiting for us on arrival, but was happily extended once I produced the printout to the girl at the counter. This coverage allows you to keep the windows up, doors locked, etc. with a minimal deductible. We had zero hassles, and I had happy in-laws - a win-win arrangement! It's also diesel powered, and diesel cost about one third of what gasoline cost on Bonaire at that time (May 2004). I bet that ratio still applies; I figured I'd paid for the upgrade to the nice vehicle on fuel cost savings anyway, as we drove the in-laws the length & breadth and everywhere in between on the island the days they were with us, for their photo stops, as well as our shore diving excursions.

http://www.abcarrental.com/travelguide/

http://www.abcarrental.com/insurance.htm

busted:
I have heard a lot about security issues on Bonaire, as far as rental cars being broken into and things being stolen from some hotel rooms, etc. Does Curacao have similar problems. Is there a problem with rental cars being broken into while shore divin
FWIW our DM on a boat in Bonaire was born on Curacao and had relocated his whole family to Bonaire recently - not an easy task on what he likely makes. When I asked him why he said gangs and crime are getting bad there. At first I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't...

Since I used to work on Curacao, and in the security industry at that, I knew a lot about the crime statistics on the island. They do have crime, everywhere does. They probably have a slightly higher percentage than most areas in the region and even here in the states, but its not anything you should be concernd about. Take resounable precautions, as you would anywhere, and you'll be ok. Dont leave valuables in sight, lock your car, park in lit areas, etc.... Its really just like any other place in the world, be smart, but dont let it consume you. Relax and enjoy the trip.

Having spent two weeks in Curacao in April, I can say whole heartedly that we felt perfectly safe. Granted we did not rent a car, but you can have problems with your car being broken into anywhere in the world including probably your home town! There is also mention of drug problems on Curacao and that is true, but what the problem is, is that the Columbian drug traffic uses Curacao as a gateway to North America for drugs. For the average tourist, this has no effect on your vacation other than every once in awhile you will see the US Coast Guard patrolling the shores or the occasional helicopter doing the same. In terms of safety at night around the island, again, no fears. There are security guards in plain sight all over the place. While the #1 industry is the oil refinery on Curacao, tourism is still #3 (off-shore banking #2) and still a very important part of their economy. Several of our group went right into Willemstad, our group being all females, at night and didn't feel the slightest bit unsafe.

As mentioned in other posts, the dive sites in Curacao are generally at beach areas that charge an entry fee. On a tour of the island, we stopped at many of these places and there was indeed an amount of security in that they were public beaches, proper parking lots, facilities, etc. The age-old advice for anywhere in the world is to leave the least amount of valuables in the car as possible and you won't have a problem.

busted:

I've been cautious on all my trips to Bonaire and my one trip to Curacao; don't leave anything valuable in the vehicle. However....

On my trip to Curacao last December, I left a pair of ill-fitting dollar store flip flops (man, I hated those things) and a half-drunk bottle of water in the truck bed while I was diving. My dubby and I dove, while her husband stayed topside near the truck. At one point he heard something, turned around, and saw a native disappear into the brush near the truck (no small feat, considering the cacti and sticker bushes there). He thought nothing of it until we returned from the dive and found flipflops and water missing. My conclusion was: even worthless stuff is subject to being stolen.

The rule on Bonaire is, southern dive sites normally no problems at all..No ones around!
Northern dive sites leave windows opened, doors unlocked & nothing of any value in the car or truck that you don't mind being without.
Been diving there for 20 years on & off & never had a problem..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom