Curacao or Bonaire for dive honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thrownoverbored

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey friends, hoping you all could help me out here.

My partner and I are getting married this December, and while we're still saving up for a big trip, we'd like to take a 5-7 day trip right after the wedding for a mini-honeymoon. I'm torn between Bonaire and Curacao, and here's why:

I'm an open water diver who's logged less than 30 dives, mostly in the Philippines. My partner is not yet OW certified, but we live in San Diego so he will be well before December. In any case, we're not pros, and I am definitely more into the idea of a dive vacation than he is (I've only been on dedicated dive vacations without him).

We love to travel, and generally go off the beaten path. Usually small family-run hotels, we drive ourselves up crappy roads, we love eating random things. So we're definitely not all-inclusive, sit on the beach do nothing kind of folks.... but, this is a mini-honeymoon, so it would be nice to kick back a little bit, and have a few nicer amenities and good restaurants around too. We're in our late 20s too, if that's any help.

Ok, with all that being said, what do y'all think would be a better fit? Of course the diving is killer in Bonaire, but 1) I worry about our ability to shore dive alone, and 2) there's not much going on there besides the diving. With Curacao, I know it's more developed and there are nicer options for lodging and things, but how is the diving comparatively speaking? I must admit, I've been spoiled on the amazing corals in the Philippines...

We also don't have major bucks, so any advice on which of the two locations will be less expensive for lodging, boat dives, and airfare to/from Miami or LA, would be really helpful too.

Thanks for your help!

OMG...Congrats! Without a doubt Bonaire is yoru place! Bonaire has amazing restaurants, and you can explore all you want! Since it is your honeymoon, and since you are newer divers, you might want to spring and hire a local DM to take you shore diving. The great thing here to is that you can also schedule boat dives when you arrive, if you want to do them!

Want to do more than dive??? Try land sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, horseback riding, sunset cruises, etc. Also I would HIGHLY suggest that whereever you decided to stay, that you book the dock at Richard's restaurant! I wouldn't book it for any later than 6:30 pm so you can watch the beautiful sunset. It is a private table for 2 with private service on the dock...how romantic! Check different places. A lot of places offer "honey moon specials".

Liz

Okay, I am a bit confused............ you say you are torn between Curacao and Bonaire so you obviously know something about them, but then you say you aren't sure about shore diving. The best part of going to both places is the shore diving. So, why did you pick those two places?

Honestly, shore diving in Bonaire can't be any easier. Especially from the oceanfront resorts, you grab your gear and walk down steps into the water, swim out to the wall and go right or left (your option as current is little to none) and go. Turn around when you reach your designated air level, go back the way you came and when you think you are in the right spot start working your way shallower. When you get to about 20' depth you can safely go to surface if you need to look for hotel dock. At Buddy's, there is a rope that runs right out to the reef, so you just look for that to lead you back into the dock and stairs. Other resorts probably have something similar to mark the way home.

If you buy the Bonaire Shore Diving Made Simple booklet, you can pick all your dives according to difficulty, etc.

robin:D

Okay, I am a bit confused............ you say you are torn between Curacao and Bonaire so you obviously know something about them, but then you say you aren't sure about shore diving. The best part of going to both places is the shore diving. So, why did you pick those two places?

I am unsure about shore diving because I am worried about safety, not only for myself but for my partner (who will be a brand new diver at that point). Yes, you always have to look out for your buddy, but doing it alone vs with a divemaster is a big difference. I am not an advanced diver myself, and would hate for anything to happen to us because of my lack of knowledge or skills. If we had plenty of time to go out diving together prior to this trip, it would be a different matter. But I don't. Hence my hesitation about shore diving ALONE with a brand new diver.

My post was more asking about overall enjoyment at these two places given the fact my partner will be a new diver, and we want to do more than just dive while there. If you have any recommendations of one over the either, it would be appreciated.

I like both Bonaire and Curacao, but I find Curacao a more interesting place to explore and I think you would like it for a honeymoon with a not-yet-dive-junkie buddy. Bonaire is interesting too and you should definitely do it sometime, but I guess I've found Curacao a more interesting place to keep going back to long after I got bored with Bonaire (both above and below.)

Diving from any hotel in Bonaire or Curacao that has shore diving at the dock you will probably feel comfortable with pretty quickly. It's very easy diving, next to impossible to get lost, and you will see other people around and not be in a remote place. Curacao is probably a bit more oriented to boat diving than Bonaire, but you can still boat dive in Bonaire. Curacao has lots of shore diving like Bonaire, the drives may be longer but some of it is from public beaches that have a few facilities and may even have dive shops, so that may help you feel more comfortable. There is an op in Curacao called the Dive Bus that everyone likes, it would be a way to explore shore diving with the comfort of other people at first instead of being on your own.

I am unsure about shore diving because I am worried about safety, not only for myself but for my partner (who will be a brand new diver at that point). Yes, you always have to look out for your buddy, but doing it alone vs with a divemaster is a big difference. I am not an advanced diver myself, and would hate for anything to happen to us because of my lack of knowledge or skills. If we had plenty of time to go out diving together prior to this trip, it would be a different matter. But I don't. Hence my hesitation about shore diving ALONE with a brand new diver.

My post was more asking about overall enjoyment at these two places given the fact my partner will be a new diver, and we want to do more than just dive while there. If you have any recommendations of one over the either, it would be appreciated.

As I said in my post, Bonaire is easy, really really easy. There is little to no current. No reason 2 beginners couldn't dive there safely as long as they aren't trying to do anything beyond their skill level (like diving to +100' and both running out of air). As long as you are good on skills, you can do a few simple dives the first few days, a boat dive or two, then once you get your confidence up, try other sites. Seriously, Bonaire is the easiest diving I have ever done with the exception of Key Largo reefs.

Topside, we didn't do much other that go out to eat and drive around the last day visiting the slave huts. We knew there were other things but didn't take any time away from divng. Bonaire is not as developed as Curacao is all I know.
I would check out this website: Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
Lots of information there.

Having been to both I'm torn.
One thing to agree with Damselfish, in Curacao if your not behind a hotel, shore diving is generally from public beaches so your not necessarily remote or alone where I can see you being more remote in Bonaire. Many of the dives I did in Bonaire there was no one else around while I was there. And yes, the drives are longer from site to site in Curacao but that seems to be the appeal of your wanting to explore off the beaten path.
And, I do know where I stayed that from Habitat Curacao the divemasters if asked, were willing to be personal guides for a small fee on their day off. I'm sure that is the case no matter where you go and no different from a tip being on the boat. Which just reminded me, from a couple of the beaches there are dive operations there so if your really worried you could likely hire a guide or get a good site briefing before you get in.
Check out this site, ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community! I used it to plan our trip to Curacao with good accurate results.

My wife dove in Curacao last june it was the most stress free diving we have done. It had very very clear water lots of fist to see. We did boat dives and the dm and all the boat people were very nice and helpful.

thanks, everyone. this is very helpful! we've still got a bit of time.. and actually, checking out the most recent flight costs from Miami to Curacao in December, we may have to push the trip back a little bit. Tips on cheaper airfare would be welcome!

I tend to disagree with the former posters :D
Shore entrys on Curacao are easyer,Curacao has beaches,Bonaire has sharp coral.
And curacao has things to do topside aka a night life,Bonaire was when we where there
closed at 22.00u:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom