Curacao Ocean Encounters East vs West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just booked a trip for a week at Lion's Dive for 7/2-9. Does anyone know if you get a dive package with OE-East, if you can also dive with OE-West? It would be nice to get to the sites on the West side as they seem to get favorable reviews here. I chose the East side to be close to town for satisfy 2 non-divers in the family, plus Lion's Dive looks like a good place at a decent price. I may also choose to shore dive as my daughter and I enjoyed it last year in Bonaire. However, we both like the guided aspect. For example; in Bonaire, we saw frogfish on every guided dive and could never find them on our own.

A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the Breezes and was able arrange a one day trip to OE West. They needed a minimum of 4 divers to provide the transportation. I went on my own with my non-diving wife and a non-diving couple but still had little difficulty finding other divers to make the trip to the other end. I was lucky enough to talk the OE West crew into diving Mushroom Forest and Watamula on the same trip. They usually do it on two different days. I also dove one day with The Dive Bus...Excellent. They will take you all the way to West Pundt if they have a minimum of 6 divers (I think). I rented a car ($49.00 including taxes) and drove up to Habitat and did 3 shore dives off their dock ($27.00 for the 3 tanks or air)...Beautifull House Reef...Excellent. The OE East dives are just OK. If you don't see the west end you will kick yourself for sure. Watamula was the best dive of the week. The OE West shore diving (Alice in Wonderland) is also supposed to be great but I did't get the chance to do it. The OE staff were really great and even though I booked day to day, at the end I was credited with the discounts based on the total dives done. I know some people like to have everything arranged in advance but I like to explore my options once I get to a place because sometimes you can be disappointed if they don't meet your expectations. Have a fantastic vacation - I know I did.

Hi,

my name is Andreas, and I am working as a dive instructor for OE West in Westpunt.

Sure you can choose to do some boat dives out of a package agreed with our collegues in the east also with our operation in the west of the island. Depending on when you come, it is recommendable to let us know ahead so we can reserve a space for you on our boat.

We will love to welcome you on board (and under water, of course). If you want to see a frogfish for sure, you might want to come with us to Kortape Point on a Wednesday. Normally I am on the boat those days, and I know where to find a very nice Froggy - have a look at it following the link ..:: Ocean Encounters West ::...

Thank you to everybody, by the way, for posting so many nice comments on Ocean Encounters West. We are happy when you enjoy your time diving with us!!!

Kind regards from Curacao
Andreas

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to diving both the East and West. Looking forward to meeting you Andreas. Got some great frogfish photos last year in Bonaire. Can't wait to get better ones this year in Curacao.

By all means, make sure you get out "west". I was there 2 weeks ago and dove with OEW for most of my dives. They are totally top notch outfit and great people to dive and do business with. All the people at the shop were very friendly and helpful. Besides all that, the dest dives we encountered were at the west end of the island bar none. I did my AOW and Nitrox cert's with Andreas, and he was an excellent teacher and guide. I've only been home for 10 days and I'm ready to go back. Ted:D

I agree with Birdy, definitely do as much diving as you can with OEW, they are a first class diving operation, and there are a # of outstanding diving sites in the western part of the island, such as Rediho, Paradise, Kortape Point, and, of course, Mushroom Forest and mind boggling Watamula. The Alice in Wonderland site directly off the OEW shop in Playa Kalki is an easy shore dive on a very beautiful reef:

278413903_qw2zX-L.jpg

Tuki and Andreas are a great dive team:

278259867_QU69V-L.jpg

Here are Birdy and Andreas going over the Kalki reef for Birdy's AOW Deep Dive:

283135348_wmrRq-M.jpg

And Andreas instructing Birdy in his navigation skills during his AOW Night Dive at Kalki:

283133946_Ly3eE-M.jpg

If you get the chance, rent a car and tour the park in the western part of the island, where Watamula is located:

278262923_pLVKR-L.jpg

And, if you are in the Westpunt area over the weekend, definitely eat at Sol Food restaurant located at http://www.curacaosunshine.com/ for some of the best food on Curacao:

278256203_SFo42-L.jpg

safe diving on Curacao, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Great advice from all. Less than 3 weeks to go!!!!

What are the transportation options to get from Lion's Dive to OE West? Taxi, pickup/drop-off option from the dive shop? I'm still on the fence about a car rental, but may end up getting one.

Hi Cageybob,

As far as I know our colleagues at Lion's Dive offer transfer to our place at OEW, if a certain number of guests sign up for the same day. The only other option would be to rent a car and come on your own. Taxi rides are quite expensive from town to Westpoint (approx. 60 US$ one-way). Renting a car is a good idea anyway, because it gives you the freedom to move around the island without relying on public transport, which is a bit underdeveloped on Curacao.

See you soon,

Andreas

I was able to book with OE and they supplied transportation with a minimun of 4 divers. I also rented a car for a day for $50.00, taxes included, in the Breezes lobby. There were two rental companies there and I would bet there is probably one in the lobby of Lion's Dive as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom