Curacao- June 18 thru June 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We liked Jeremy so much we did 4 dives there. It was pretty much like Plaia Lagun, no big difference. Which eels did you mean? If you meant morays, there were plenty of them right S of All West, just do not go deeper than 55 ft. I can check my log book but at AW we never saw less than 5 total, green+spotted. On one dive I saw 4 greens, one after another on the way S, and several spotted when I turned back in shallower waters. If you meant the goldspotted/sharptail eels, these were very abundant everywhere. Pity I did not take my camera when I saw two of them "embracing".

The long swim you have to do at Lagun/Jeremy/The Kenipas to reach the reef has its pros. While getting there you can see schools of silversides and needlefish, turtles, flying gurnards, etc.

What I could count, however, were the giant anemones. I saw just one at Habitat, but dozens on every dive in the north.

Hello there,

We are starting to plan our trip to Curacao and there will 3 to 5 of us going. We have been to Bonaire a few times and I absolutely love Bonaire.
... right now we are looking at Ocean Encounters WEST as the dive shop, possible staying at All West. I have been reading the comments.. great comments.... My questions are
Shore diving-
do you recommend that we rent a truck for our shore diving adventures? some comments recommend trucks over cars... At All WEST, all the packages include Room, Car/Truck and either a shore or boat diving package. Based on your numbers, I would recommend a truck over a car... this would offer you flexibility w/ tanks and gear.
recommendations for shore dives... just go with the dive shop recommendations and/or your recommendations or do you recommend any online or printed material??? Generally speaking I have dove most of the spots up and down the island so I can give you specific information on arrival including directions and protocols.
any definite shore dive that you would recommend that we hire a dive guide for Curacao is a very easy island to shore dive therefore most of the sites on the West should not require a DM if you are experienced and comfortable. However, for East locations, I would recommend speaking to Mark and Suzy @ the Dive Bus for specific information since they are the experts on that side.....
if we decide on more distant location shore dives and we don't have enough Nitrox tanks from ocean encounters...do most dive shops carry Nitrox??? Generally however OEW does have a recipricol relationship w/ Ocean Encounters on the east side so it should not be a problem.
Boat diving with ocean encounters-
for Klein... I know that it can be based on weather, current etc but how many days ahead can we plan the trip? ASAP... fills up fast. However there are additional options available with the Jonalisa, Dive Charter Curacao and the Mermaid.
our the boats usually packed.... I ask because then we will do less boat diving and more shore diving.... It really depends on the week however our 3 boats are large enough to accommodate.

All West- where are the nearest food markets/shops??? Typically when booking w/ All West we meet you at the airport, take you to the market (Centrum) and then take you to All West where your vehicle and apartment are waiting. If you need additional items, Barber has a mini market for staples.

What restaurants are a must? Sol Food, Landhuis Misje, Landhuis Daniel on the west plus on the east El Gaucho, Equus, & The Gouveneur

Thank you for any help....

Additionally I would recommend that you boat dive at least to Watamula, Rediho, Paradise and Mushroom Forest at the very least!!

For more information, check out our website which has links to our FB Fan Page & our You Tube Channel!

Please email me directly for more information too!! I am always happy to assist!!

See you soon!!

Very nicely said, Bryan! Andreas would be proud.
I am a big advocate for seeing/diving the whole island but like Bryan since we live in Westpunt we are a little biased toward the West end.
If in the end you still can not decide, divide your stay between Willemstad and Westpunt and post the comparisons on your return home.

Hi Lovetodive travel,

A lot has been said allready. But All of the coast of Curacao is Beautifull to dive. And allmost everey site accessable. Some spots you can only visit if you rent tanks at the dive operator on the spot.
My advise, if you are comfortable without a guide hire a truck and visit all the different divespots. Diving on the eastside of the Island do visit Sea Side Terrace for lunch or diner (closed on monday) very local and the best food if you like fish.
Information about divesites we can provide to you as we dive the Island for 40 years and we know every spot.

Happy dive planning.

We are starting to plan our trip to Curacao and there will 3 to 5 of us going. We have been to Bonaire a few times and I absolutely love Bonaire.
... right now we are looking at Ocean Encounters as the dive shop, possible staying at All West. I have been reading the comments.. great comments.... My questions are
Shore diving-
do you recommend that we rent a truck for our shore diving adventures? some comments recommend trucks over cars...
recommendations for shore dives... just go with the dive shop recommendations and/or your recommendations or do you recommend any online or printed material???
any definite shore dive that you would recommend that we hire a dive guide for....
if we decide on more distant location shore dives and we don't have enough Nitrox tanks from ocean encounters...do most dive shops carry Nitrox???
Boat diving with ocean encounters-
for Klein... I know that it can be based on weather, current etc but how many days ahead can we plan the trip?
our the boats usually packed.... I ask because then we will do less boat diving and more shore diving....

All West- where are the nearest food markets/shops???

What restaurants are a must? Thank you for any help....
Thank you for all your help. We are in contact with All West and Ocean Encounters West.
We are compiling all your suggestions and making a list of dives that we would love to do....

Wow... 40 days are we will be there...
I have a couple more questions...
Does Ocean Encounters West limit their boat dives to 50 or 60 minutes???
Our package with OCW is not what we requested... so should we plan on renting tanks and weights from OCW for our shore dives or do we went from a different dive shop?
Thanks much...

Hi lovetodive-travel

If you're not happy with your OCW package, my advise is don't do it. It's your dive vacation, so you decide what and whrer you'll dive.
We have about 44 registered divecenters on the Island, so at least one should help you with what you want.
If you're comfortable with diving on your own hire tanks and a car and enjoy the shoreline of Curacao. Sudden beaches are not advisable to leave your car alone with valuables so leave it open. But most of the dive operators can advise you about the spots.
Or surf to scubadviser.com there you can find reviews of different dive operators and find one that suits you.

If you need any help we you can always contact us.

We wish you happy dive planning with the right package.

Wow... 40 days are we will be there...
I have a couple more questions...
Does Ocean Encounters West limit their boat dives to 50 or 60 minutes???
Our package with OCW is not what we requested... so should we plan on renting tanks and weights from OCW for our shore dives or do we went from a different dive shop?
Thanks much...

Yes, there are dive time limits in my experience. My memory is 60 minutes.

Just curious what it is that OEW is not doing that you wanted?

I have found them to be very agreeable to things.

Just curious.

Last edited:
Hi everyone... OEW does 60 min dives to some of the best boat diving on the island!!

Other than that... as JDCPA said... we are pretty laid back and agreeable to most things.

Sorry I have not been able to address these questions sooner as I am away off island dealing with some family affairs. If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to email me directly and then I can get back to you.

Thanks again and see you soon!!

Back
Top Bottom