Curacao ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Setting up my galleries from a recent trip to Curacao, which was fantastic. Saw all kinds of things I hadn't seen before - Pederson Cleaner Shrimp, Greater Soapfish, Sand Diver, Sharptail Eel, Boga & Glassy Sweeper Schools...I'd like some confirmation on a few things. The first is this vertical coral - I'm guessing it's pillar coral, but it's a guess and not very specific. The second image is detail of the same coral.

The 3rd image shows a really neat phenomenon I watched. A Sharptail Eel was foraging along the bottom and it had several other fish, hanging out above it, waiting for food that was stirred up (I assume). Obviously, the vertical fish is a trumpetfish, but what are the smaller, dark, spotted fish? I checked my books for hind, graysby, and similar but the color and the yellow fin accents don't match. I don't have an image with better detail of them - I was too entranced by the eel.

The fourth image were very small creatures (1-2"), blueish/purpleish in color, affixed to rocks, and not particularly mobile. I don't even know where to start with them.

All images are Westpunt, Curacao, 20-30 fsw. Sorry for such basic questions, but you never learn unless you ask (after research). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The fish following the eel is pretty common, I think. I've got some nice video (also from Curacao...) of a spotted moray having a snack. You can see bits of fish escaping his mouth, and the little guys darting in to help keep the water clean. My dogs perform the same function on our floor...

Thanks for your quick reply and the information. I loved looking at your Curacao photo galleries as well. I wish I could have spent more time diving there. In fact, I wish I was diving there now!

Back
Top Bottom