Curacao dive resorts with house reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
Which dive resorts have house reefs? I know Habitat does because we stayed there last time. I have read many reports that Habitat has gone downhill lately and may want to check out another resort.

Why a house reef :confused: You'll be on a small island, 1 hour all the way across.

I just really enjoyed the house reef at Curacao. It was a bit far from town, but we're not really into the nightlife anyway. We did drive to the west end one day. Habitat was fine then (2004). I'm just a little wary with all of the posts I've read recently.

Why a house reef :confused: You'll be on a small island, 1 hour all the way across.
probably because some of us like the convenience of strolling from our room to the dock, grabbing our gear, and jumping in. Instead of hauling gear all over the place.

Way out at western end-
*Kura Hulanda Lodge (excellent shore dive, way better than Habitat is now, though shop is not quite as convenient.)
*All West Apartments (next door to KH, same diving)

Also out west, like Habitat-
*Sunset Waters (may or may not be any better overall than Habitat)

Just west of town-
*Marriott (supposed to be a pretty good shore dive)
-Hilton (nearish Marriott, but have heard this shore dive isn't that great.)
(Hooks Hut is in between these 2 and is sort of the shop for Floris Suites hotel - 5 min walk. I think they have shore diving but not sure. But anyway the hotel isn't on the water and the setup definitely isn't a "dive resort")
*Scuba Lodge (newish, near town, but supposed to have a decent shore dive. I've never been here.)

Just east of town-
-Breezes (the Car Pile?)
-Lions Dive (I think they still have shore diving but so much has changed in that area since I dove there I don't know what it is like. It's a zoo now and I'd be afraid of being run over by a jet ski.
-Royal Resort (probably can't dive right from there, but you can walk over to Lions Dive and the dive shop in that complex.)

There are some resorts clumped further east on the island like Limestone, Papagayo, Chogogo, Livingstone Jan Thiel - I don't think any of those have shore diving, I think if they're on the water it's more like on the bay.

I stuck stars at the ones I think are worth considering as something resembling dive resorts with a handy shore dive. Calling the Marriott a dive resort may be a stretch, but it's pretty nice and a good choice if you've got a non-diver along and/or want to be close to town.

Last edited:
I love Sunset Waters resort! I have stayed ther 3 times now and would go again and again. Fantastic place, good food, easy diving, all inclusive so you dont have to keep reaching for the wallet to pay for food and drinks!

We have stayed at Sunset Waters 4 times. We don't go for the accommodations but for the diving. The crew at Sunset Divers is awesome. They are very professional yet a lot of fun. The resort itself is tired. It could use a HUGE facelift. The food is okay, the staff friendly enough. But for the diving, it's the best place to stay!

Why the importance on the house reef - besides the fact you can walk right in? Will most of your dives be from the boat? Both Habitat and Sunset Waters will hit most of the same sites. The main exception is that SW goes the 30 or 40 minutes to Watamula and Habitat will set you up with Ocean Encounters West for that dive. If you only plan to dive from shore, rent a car. There are over 8 shore dives between the 2 resorts and at least 4 between Lagun and Westpunt. This isn't counting dives in opposite directions. So, if you are into shore diving, you'll have dozens on the west side alone. Then from Blue Bay to Director's Bay you have at least a dozen other (East side)shore dives including the wreck of the Superior Producer. There's far too many choices to be concerned with the best house reef and you can always dive the other resort's house reef.
That said, we live in Westpunt and really enjoy our house reef stretching from Marazul to the Lodge, all along the Westpunt Bay. There are guests who stay at All West who dive from the apartments at least once a day but..... the bay is wide enough to allow for a few dives on different sections of the reef and they are out there at all hours of the day and night.
You'll find different topography (walls, coral, sandy bottoms), different corals (hard, soft, shapes and colors), sponges (you get the point) and even fish (schools of small fish to tarpon) at different sites so don't limit yourself. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom