Cultus Lake Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a slight detour searching for wrecks, I'm back to my fish study project in Cultus Lake. Here's a video of last weekend's dive. I thought I'd solved my light diffusion problem but there's that damn hot spot again.

Boring to the uninvolved I'll admit, but a fair representation of what would be seen at this particular site:

[video=youtube;F3HznO_frTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3HznO_frTc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Enjoyed your video Dale. With the old Canadian Forces Base being so close to Cultas you never know what you might find sunk in the lake.

A very nice example of how understanding more about what you are looking at can enrich even what might superficially seem a monotonous site.

A very nice example of how understanding more about what you are looking at can enrich even what might superficially seem a monotonous site.
It's so easy to go into the regular Cultus popular parks for a shore dive and find "nothing". Just make an effort to better informed about the history and fauna and your diving improves vastly. Dale and I did this expedition a year ago. We wanted to dive right in front of the site of an old Canadian Forces Base that is no longer there. We were hoping to find a Sherman tank, some M1 Garands and at least a couple of Navy Dirks. We didn't find those but we found other treasures including a wreck :) ... See for yourselves.

[youtubehq]48E8UEROPDI[/youtubehq]

I swear I didn't put him up to it :)
Watch the last few moments of the video to see the sort of decisions G makes...

When I started diving Cultus it was just another lower mainland lake on my list. At the time I diving them to see what the bottom composition was like.
However, in Cultus, I read that there was a small fish on the threatened/endangered list: the Cultus Pygmy Sculpin. Because it is of no economic value little has been spent in researching it, in the field, and I saw this as a good opportunity to use my/our diving to contribute to the data base. DFO is doing genetic research but little is known of it's spawning behavior or interaction with its environment. These seemed to be perfect questions to work on in a lake with a max depth of 140' and a mean of about 80' and a primary methodology of observation only.

At the time I envisioned a five year plan. The first few years have been spent diving most of the eastern perimeter to better understand the topography and to observe the general biotic environment. This is where I have been able to develop a better insight into what I see and the processes behind it. It has been a bit like opening Pandora's box though, and I have expanded my understanding of habitat far beyond what I initially believed I would. Probably the biggest eye opener has been the adaptation fish species have made in regards to utilizing man made debris.

Almost each week I dive a site, observe, and then spend the interval thinking about what I have seen. Along The way I have met with DFO, another stewardship group, local landowners and researchers from other projects on the lake (there were four last summer):
Salmon enhancement (threatened species)
Milfoil research (invasive species)
Pike Minnow eradication (invasive species)
Pygmy Sculpin (threatened species)

Currently, I am planning to focus the upcoming season on observing the Pygmy Sculpin in hopes of finding its spawning sites. This is still a big unknown and I am hoping I can locate and record the where when and how's of this puzzle.

I am saying "I" a lot but my hope is that it will also be a "We" project. In the past local divers have come out for dives (slamfire being one) and the local dive community has been very encouraging of our efforts.

If any local divers are interested, our local club is planning to do weekly Wed. nite dives in the summer (starting soon) which I will attempt to hijack for the cause and I will probably continue doing weekend dives as well. The dives are boring in the traditional sense (you have to be prepared for a fairly sterile setting), and we operate on an observation only, no harass policy (as stipulated by DFO) but there is the reward of knowing you are using diving to forward understanding.

I'm also always looking for good quality photographers. My biggest weakness is not having a camera system that takes good close up pictures in low light. I can find the Sculpin but I haven't been able to get the kind of macro images which would help tell the story of the fish in its environment.

You can read up on the project here, though I am probably going to set up a separate dedicated website soon:

Welcome to the Cultus Lake Project - manfish.ca The adventure of Grassroots Canadian Diving

Wow -- I just went and looked at the map, and realized Cultus Lake is not far from Abbotsford, so it really isn't very far away. I'd love to come up and help you with some diving this summer. Let me know.

Another video from last weekend:

[video=youtube;AuzzLKeywI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuzzLKeywI4&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ& index=1[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom