Cuba Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan - Sounds like you have been busy. Thanks for sharing. Husband and I are looking at booking with Aggressor II for Summer and wondering if anyone has feedback on cabin choices? Looks like rooms 9 & 10 are bigger but near the back / engine room, while 1 & 2 are in the front but back up to staff and configuration seems a little odd. Also, wondering if photography options are better for Large and wide versus Macro. Night diving?

Does anyone have a direct PHONE or WhatsApp number for the Avalon offices in Cuba?

Does anyone have a direct PHONE or WhatsApp number for the Avalon offices in Cuba?

@aquabluegreg is my agent who booked my Cuba trip on Avalon. Hopefully he can answer your question.

I do have WhatsApp number of Gustavo, DM of Avalon, +53 53 5 10010. Hopefully he can help you too.

Dan - Sounds like you have been busy. Thanks for sharing. Husband and I are looking at booking with Aggressor II for Summer and wondering if anyone has feedback on cabin choices? Looks like rooms 9 & 10 are bigger but near the back / engine room, while 1 & 2 are in the front but back up to staff and configuration seems a little odd. Also, wondering if photography options are better for Large and wide versus Macro. Night diving?

Sorry for delay response. I just noticed it today.

I was on Jardines Avalon 3 (JA III). Don’t know anything about Jardines Aggressor II.

So we did our Avalon Liveaboard in May/June and it was phenomenal. While there were a few communication break-downs (delays) with Blue Water Travel, those were never much of an issue. As many here know, Avalon charters to both divers as well as catch&release fly fishermen. There are multiple boats and you are not assigned a boat until the week before you arrive. Assignments are based on the size of your group, cabin selection, and who else is chartering that week.

We flew from Miami to Camaguey and stayed in that beautiful (albeit very poor) city for a couple nights. We then took the Avalon bus for the 2 1/2 hour drive to the port where all four boats were moored. We were very lucky with our boat assignment. We were on the Avalon IV which is the newest in the fleet @ 190ft with 20cabins and a capacity of 40 guests. We had a total of 13 guests, 10 fly fishermen and 3 divers … we had the boat to ourselves.

The boats makes the ~4hour run out to the mangroves where they moor for the entire week. 30ft, twin engine dive tenders run between the liveaboard and the reefs for daily dives.

While we had beautiful blue skies the first two days, after that we unfortunately saw very little sun with scattered showers and some winds the rest of the week. Not horrible when underwater but it definitely put the fishermen out of luck many times.

The crew and staff were amazing and catered to the 13 of us wonderfully.

I will post more and certainly answer any questions from folks considering the trip … we will do it again, but maybe a month or two earlier in the year.

Back
Top Bottom