• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cuba in November??

Discussion in 'Greater Caribbean & Bermuda' started by krissydt, Aug 24, 2010.

1. shark_tamer

shark_tamer Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Sorry, nothing that big in Cayo Largo !!!

The largest creature I have encountered while diving in Cayo Largo were 2 meter Eagle Rays and large tarpoons ... and you're average nurse shark, some turtles.

But there are plenty of reefs, walls, crevasses to see and do down there !!!

You won't find an email adress for the dive center ... but I have one for the person in charge of the marina ... Don't expect an answer overnite !!! You'll probably get an answer in about a week !!!

comercial.marina@repgc.cls.tur.cu

Be clear in your request that the message is for the dive center ... Good luck !!

2. agd

agd Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks for the e-mail address. I sent a message out and will see if I get a reply in a week or so.

Andy

3. agd

agd Solo Diver

That e-mail worked and I got a reply from Reynaldo. There is a bit of a language barrier, but essentially, the dives at Cayo Largo are operated as 2 tank dives with hotel pick-ups at about 0845 and return at 1430. They also can do trips further afield on all day excursions if they get enough divers who wish to try it (for an extra fee)

The current cost for 2 dives is $74CUC, about $85 US dollars ( but you can't use US dollars in Cuba) and Reynaldo says there are no additional "park" fees or taxes. There appears to be no discount for doing multi-day packages. If you need gear, it is an extra $20 CUC ($23 US). That is definitely an improvement on some previous reports, but still seems quite high compared even to places like Bonaire and Cayman.

So, who can weigh in on which is a better resort: Playa Blanca or Sol Club Cayo Largo?

Andy

4. shark_tamer

shark_tamer Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Already got an answer ... that was pretty fast !!!

As for which resort ... definitly Sol Club !! :wink:

Don't want to be mean .... but I'll be there in 2 days !!! :eyebrow:

5. agd

agd Solo Diver

Have fun down there!

When you get back, would you update us all on your trip?

Cheers

Andy

6. agd

agd Solo Diver

Well, we have booked in at Club Sol Cayo Largo for a week from 21 November.

Shark Tamer, how was your trip there? Any updates on the resort or dive operator?

Andy