Cuba All-Inclusive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like we have narrowed it down to either one of the Barcelo resorts are the Paradisus resort. Anyone know anything of these resorts in particular?

Scuba-Jay, completely off topic, but what dive op do you use in St Pete? I'm heading out there end of March.

Thanks!:D

If this is the same Paradisus that you are referring too, I can give you all the info you need. This resort is a 5 star, and I would have very little to say that was negative. The rooms were very well kept, the grounds were beautiful, its is on (from what I'm told) one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba (it was very nice!), pool was great, food was good - good variety in the restaurants and the buffet... Cuban ice cream - delicious! As you can tell, I could probably go on for a while about the whole trip....

I had booked 10 dives, but weather was quite windy, and blew off 6 dives. I managed to get 4 in, 3 in the same site, but it was pretty decent diving. Large grouper, crabs, lobster, plus every other Carribean fish as well... Wish I could report about the "good site", but I never managed to get out to them...Cuban dive boats are quite a bit different from anything you may have seen elsewhere.....

We did a swim with the dolphins excursion, which was a blast - a highlight of the trip. I was a little ify regarding the whole dolphin-as-a circus-animal-sideshowthing, but the dolphins actually appear to enjoy the interaction with people, and they are incredibly intelligent. Even learned some educational things too.... imagine that.
Later that day we finished it off with a sunset catamaran cruise, which was also a good time. The rum flows freely, as do the buccaneers (local beer), met people from Germany, UK, Scotland... all over - ah, except the US, and had a great time.

My wife very much enjoyed all the pampering the resorts own spa provides, and spent a couple days just chillin and doing nothing but drinking lemonade slushies.

Did a couple quick jaunts into Guardalavaca to the local vendors, and shops, tried some local quisine, cigars, rum, cuban music..... quite an experience...

I've just rambled on about some of the highlights, but if you need any specific, feel free....

SS

You are in Calgary, and you will find most of the All Inclusives are in Varadero. All the resorts there are required to use the Varedaro Dive Boat. The Boat goes when the Captain feels like it, I was there a week and could only dive once! The dive shop was willing the sea was calm, but the boat Captain felt it was too rough! We stayed at Beaches in Varedaro Cuba and it is free to dive! (Not just a pool dive -- real diving) It is also a good price, and has a very nice facility. We waled the who area and we had the best Beach, and the most liberal bar tenders!!

Now if you are serious about diving, grab a rent a car and go South to the Isle of Youth or to the far west coast at Maria La Gorda (means fat Maria -- after a hooker who lived there a hundred years ago) They have some nice dedicated dive resorts and no problem diving all day long.

These are great dive resorts because of the low volume of business. Sorry to my American friends but there are a lot of you and the damage a lot of divers makes is obvious after you dive Cuba and see how nice it is.

Castro was a diver in his day, even J. Cousteau came to see him and made his last TV special there. They spare no expense, our dive gear was first class, new Mares stuff, and it was great but you gota get out and see the country!!

You can't spell SCUBA without CUBA!

Stine:
Scuba-Jay, completely off topic, but what dive op do you use in St Pete? I'm heading out there end of March.

Thanks!:D

Stine when I have dived here in St. Pete (and thats not much as there is much better diving further south) I use Aquatic Obsessions. Its run by a fella' named Bill Hardman, world class spear fisherman and all around great guy. They run a good Op. I just bought new regs / bc from them the other week and they told me i could dive it for a month or so (the bc) to make sure i liked it or i could bring it back....you can't beat that!!!

Back
Top Bottom