Cuba All-Inclusive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Need some info on Cuban Resorts Please!
I am specifically looking for info on all-inclusive resorts...Which are good/bad, etc? There will be non-divers on the trip, although a dive op on the resort is prefered!
Thanks!

LoL not much help can be provided from an American point of view, just jealous glares!! Make sure to post a trip report when you get back!!!

Jay

Scuba-Jay:
LoL not much help can be provided from an American point of view, just jealous glares!! Make sure to post a trip report when you get back!!!

Jay

:rofl3:
Amen Brother....

Well I have been there twice......from a fellow canadian...lol...I stay at Sandals Royal Hicacos in varadero. It was nice . There is a dive op there.I also stayed at Coralia Club Playa de Oro in Varadero. it was nice too cheaper than the other one. They did the dive thing in the pool and if you talk with them they will take you out. Not sure if you know this site but it is good to find deals on it. www.redtag.ca . That is where most of my friends book and myself. If you like i have pics from boths that i could send ya via e-mail.
steph

Stine:
Need some info on Cuban Resorts Please!
I am specifically looking for info on all-inclusive resorts...Which are good/bad, etc? There will be non-divers on the trip, although a dive op on the resort is prefered!
Thanks!

Look at Cayo Coco area: Tryp Cayo Coco or Blau Colonial hotels - their dive shop is "Coco Diving". Nice reef. Great beach. Not much interesting options to travel around Cuba, though...

Look also at:
http://www.wowcuba.com/scuba/dive-intro.html

Went to Cuba in early December-06. We stayed at Paradisus Rio de Oro - near Guardalavaca? Holguin Area - Beautiful resort, excellent food and service, and when the weather co-operated, good diving that was nearby. I wouldn't hesitate to go back - especially with the -25C mornings we've been getting here. I can give you a bunch of info about the area, and some on Cuba as well. If you have the opportunity, get off the resort and meet some locals - it will be a highlite of your trip.

SS

Thanks for the info so far, and sorry to the Americans who can't go!

Diversteph-Please email any photos to stine1@shaw.ca it is much appreciated!

ScubaScott-Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated- We are looking to do excursions but if you can recomend areas to visit on our own, that could be more fun!

Calgary is in the middle of a chinook right now so no -25 at the moment, but it isn't warm enough to dive!:wink:

I had heard that there were major restrictions on tourists leaving the "compounds" and interacting with the locals. Is this the case? I assume Cuba is much like the other Caribbean Islands, sun, sand, drinks and pretty girls?? Aww I wanna go whats the naturalization procedures like in Canada????

Jay - The rumour that you heard about leaving the "compounds" in Cuba are totally false, as is much of the propaganda the US gov't and media present to the general public (and I'm not ragging on you, or the American people, but the Cuban Embargo is complete BS) to justify thier stand on Cuba. As I live on a bodertown in Canada, most of our information is dominated by American media, so I am very aware of the US-Cuba situation. That being said, it was a very eye-opening experience to visit Cuba, interact with the locals, and here the "other-side" of the story. I've been to several Carribean Islands and have never met more genuine, honest and life-loving people, anywhere. They do not have much, but they are thankful for everything they have - which we ungrateful North Americans don't understand.

I'm sorry for getting all political, but after visiting Cuba, those thoughts really stick in my mind. I've heard of many Americans going to Cuba via Mexico or Canada. Cuban customs do not stamp American passports, but rather issue a stamped peice of paper, that is handed in at the end of the visit, leaving no paper trail of your visit to Cuba. American money is no longer acceptable , and you cannot use credit cards that are issued by American banks. Cuba is one of the few places in the world that DAN will not cover, because they are American based.....

Now, the naturalization proceedures in Canada? - Come on up, bud - we let anybody into Canada, and give them more rights and benefits than our natural citizens. We have good beer, but keep in mind, its damn cold....

Take care mate, and again - not ragging at you, but American policy on Cuba....

SS

My husband and I went to Cuba via Mexico City about 8 years ago, long before we were divers, so do keep the date of 1999 in mind as you read the following....

The entire 7 day trip, including airfare and all inclusive lodging in La Habana and the beach town of Varadero, was $299 per person. Upon entry and departure, they did stamp our passports, the stamp was a little house that said CASA underneath.

The atmosphere was NOTHING like any other Caribbean Island we've been to since, Cuba was MUCH more impoverished! The people in La Habana were quite desperate to make a buck and we were hit on constantly by scammers, as most people appeared not to be allowed to engage in legitimate commerce it seemed to be the only way they could make a living. We saw all sorts of prostitution, women, young men, even children. The buildings in La Habana were gorgeous in style but in disrepair; the people could barely afford to feed themselves, much less pay for upkeep of palacial colonial homes. The favorite pastime of the children was playing baseball in the streets, using their hands as a bat and garbage as a ball.

The beach on Varadero was topless. The only swimsuit I had packed was a one piece, so I borrowed a pair of my husband's boxer shorts, and he and I sat around on the beach wearing only our boxers, smoking contraband cigars we'd bought off the streets in La Habana.

It was a very interesting trip, to say the least!

I realise I'm opening myself up for flaming by posting this info, but I been there and saw that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom