CSSP: Going Diving Soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone,

tx.lakerats (one of my instructors) told me about the Texas Swamp Divers, and suggested I stop in on here and introduce myself.

I just found out from my doctor that I can go diving again! I've been on a 2-month no-diving order due to a minor elbow surgery that I had just a few weeks after becoming OW certified on April 9th.

When I was at CSSP in early April, I used a 3mm full wetsuit, and was just comfortable... below the thermocline it was a little cool, but tolerable. Has anyone gone diving there recently? Are wetsuits still necessary this time of year?

Looking forward to diving with y'all this summer at CSSP!

--Bryan

I was out there last weekend and just wore a 3 mil core warmer. Above the thermocline even the core warmer wasn't needed, below the thermocline I would get chilled after a bit and pop up to right above the thermocline. I prefer looking at the fish so there isn't much of a need for me to go below the thermocline (which was around 22 ft if I recall). Hope this helps.

it is a little chilly in the airplane with 3 mil but you can come up to the top of it and warm up fine. If you are making a 3 or 4 tank day of it, I would probably opt for the full WS to keep your core temp up or plan to spend your surface intervals basking in the sun.

It is DEFINITELY warmer than it was in April!

DiverBry:
Hi Everyone,

tx.lakerats (one of my instructors) told me about the Texas Swamp Divers, and suggested I stop in on here and introduce myself.

--Bryan

Welcome to the Swamp, Bryan! Hope to dive with you soon. I haven't been to CSSP in a few weeks, but from past experience, I always wear at least a lightweight wetsuit when I'm there. Of course, part of that is my "yukky stuff" phobia, because I will wear gloves year round, also- and a beanie (which stems from my phobia of my ears becoming a perchana snack.)

A skin or 3mm suit will keep you warm, but not really too warm, like THGuy said, the thermo/your depth will dictate a lot of that. Just cool off if you need to by descending a few ft, then warm up by ascending a bit.

As for The Ratty One, where in the heck has she been? Tell her that she is overdue for a howdy, geez. A person can only handle so much rejection...

TxHockeyGuy:
I was out there last weekend and just wore a 3 mil core warmer. Above the thermocline even the core warmer wasn't needed, below the thermocline I would get chilled after a bit and pop up to right above the thermocline. I prefer looking at the fish so there isn't much of a need for me to go below the thermocline (which was around 22 ft if I recall). Hope this helps.

TxHockeyGuy: A core warmer? By that do you mean a shorty? Thanks for the info... was sort of hoping I might get away with just a shorty this time of year, with it being 90 degrees outside now :)

ZzzKing:
it is a little chilly in the airplane with 3 mil but you can come up to the top of it and warm up fine. If you are making a 3 or 4 tank day of it, I would probably opt for the full WS to keep your core temp up or plan to spend your surface intervals basking in the sun.

It is DEFINITELY warmer than it was in April!

Do you guys normally bring one tank and then refill it for the rest of the dives, or do you usually bring several full tanks with you?

Foo:
Welcome to the Swamp, Bryan! Hope to dive with you soon. I haven't been to CSSP in a few weeks, but from past experience, I always wear at least a lightweight wetsuit when I'm there. Of course, part of that is my "yukky stuff" phobia, because I will wear gloves year round, also- and a beanie (which stems from my phobia of my ears becoming a perchana snack.)

A skin or 3mm suit will keep you warm, but not really too warm, like THGuy said, the thermo/your depth will dictate a lot of that. Just cool off if you need to by descending a few ft, then warm up by ascending a bit.

As for The Ratty One, where in the heck has she been? Tell her that she is overdue for a howdy, geez. A person can only handle so much rejection...

I've seen the perchana firsthand, but have never had them nibble me... yet. They are terrifying creatures to behold!

The Ratty One... well, I haven't seen her in awhile either... probably will now that I'm resuming my diving and will see her around the shop. I'll let her know you said hi!

Dude, that's what I sport. The added benefit is the cool farmer john tan!

TxHockeyGuy:
A core warmer is similar to a shorty, it is designed to be worn under another suit for extra warmth.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_ID=HendersonCoreWarmer

I'm cheap and I see no reason to buy a shorty when my core warmer can pull double duty.

Cool... might need to go with Akona's since it goes to 5XL. I'm a big guy, but gradually getting smaller!

BIGG_BUDD:
Dude, that's what I sport. The added benefit is the cool farmer john tan!

Hey BIGG_BUDD good to see you online. I'm planning to be at CSSP July 1 (Saturday)--if you can make it perhaps we can meet up and do some diving?

Wassup Man...Thanks for the invite, but I'll be at the lakehouse all weekend for July 4 festivities. Nothing beats a weekend of boating and tubing with the wife and boys...except maybe diving with them. Man, I can't wait until my bad little dudes can dive!

Have fun man, and I hope the elbow holds up... :)

dove this weekend with a 1mil long sleeve shirt over a hooded vest. temp was fine as long as i didn't go below 25' for too long.

Back
Top Bottom