CSSP conditions today Oct. 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TruckDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent the day out at the pond today and vis wasn't really good at all. I'd say the vis was 8'-10', maybe a little better in spots. For instance when on the platform one could see corner post to corner post, but you couldn't see across diagonally. I think the platforms are 10' X 10'.
Large areas of the hydrilla are gone and there is a fine black silt covering most of the bottom. For lack of a better description it looks kinda like it's burnt. The hydrilla that is there isn't the normal green, but it looks more greyish than green and is covered by a heavy layer of algae. Also there are large patches of both black and whitish algae covering the bottom. Lots of particulates in the water, really fine stuff that stirs up really easy.
The thermo has moved down to about 35', below that it gets dark really quick and vis dropped to maybe 1' or less. At 46' I needed a light to see my computer and had to hold it against my mask to read it. I didn't stay long.
Topside things were as normal, the place was packed for a Sunday. Lots of classes I guess. I didn't go over near the restroom/shower building, so I'm not sure if it's finished yet.
For those who have been asking about the conditions, hope this helps answer your questions..........

TruckDiver:
Large areas of the hydrilla are gone and there is a fine black silt covering most of the bottom. For lack of a better description it looks kinda like it's burnt. The hydrilla that is there isn't the normal green, but it looks more greyish than green and is covered by a heavy layer of algae. Also there are large patches of both black and whitish algae covering the bottom. Lots of particulates in the water, really fine stuff that stirs up really easy.
I noticed the same thing at Twin Lakes today. Lots more of the black slimy 'burnt' areas than usual. And the hydrilla is losing it's color and 'body', starting to die back, I guess. Water temps have dropped to 83º, down from 88º 2 weeks ago.

TruckDiver:
Spent the day out at the pond today and vis wasn't really good at all.

Naw, but the company was good. :D

TruckDiver:
The thermo has moved down to about 35', below that it gets dark really quick and vis dropped to maybe 1' or less.

Excellent description of the conditions. Wish you could have hung around for our last dive, though. TexDanceGuy, Timeliner, Donald and I did a very nice relaxing, long dive after most of the park had cleared. Vis varied, went from fair to null many times, but we saw so many animals! And we saw eight turtles on the last dive, we're thinking that we're seeing them more easily due to the die-off of the hydrilla. We saw a pair of big albino cats and Donald saw a school of around 15 of the big cats. An unbelievable amount of babies, too. Excellent weather and surface interval fun.

And I think I'm going to really like my Force Fins... It was interesting to use different fins, as I've used the same pair for every dive in almost 2 yrs of diving. I've got to get some type of bungie straps though, those other ones are yuck.

Foo

I had a good time diving and visiting with some of the north Texas gang!!!

I was also at CSSP this weekend. Compared to my local lakes around Brownwood, the visibility was GREAT. That plane is so cool!!

Texdiveguy and Debraw, Nice to meet you guys in your shop Friday. Can't wait to dive Valhalla in November!

All in All a good day! After Saturday and Sunday in the Sun (added to the last 3 months) I'm well baked.

Did anybody else see the "Mine" ?
I went straight to it after we left the shark......
( yea right... :1poke: "hey Frank where are you Going ??? :smileysto )
I need to get that crazy second hand on my Compass to sit still because it keeps sending me around in circles.

Anybody know a good Watchmaker? :wink:

I saw the mine. Almost ran into it with a DPV.

dirthead:
I was also at CSSP this weekend. Compared to my local lakes around Brownwood, the visibility was GREAT. That plane is so cool!!

Texdiveguy and Debraw, Nice to meet you guys in your shop Friday. Can't wait to dive Valhalla in November!
I did not know there was anyone else from Brownwood on sb. You do not really dive in the local mud hole do you?

I have. I guess it's better to get wet in a mudhole than to not get wet at all. I try not to make it a habit, but when the urge to dive is more than I can handle, Lake Brownwood it is.

Back
Top Bottom