Cssp 7/8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone going to be out there tomorrow?

If not I'll just play around the pond a bit. Lookin' to be there around 10 ish...or 11 ish...or so.

We had a nice time at the pond on Saturday; it was surprising that there weren’t too many people there. Nice day, weather was good and water was warm…until you hit about 28 feet then a nice little cool off layer. We did 35 foot max.

The kids had been in for their first dive for about 20 minutes when I got there. They had set up close to the north pontoon dock. They did about an hour dive on the north side by the plane while I chatted with the very personable people that were sharing the pavilion with us.

After the kids surfaced we did lunch, ice chest stuff. Sandwich and chips are pretty good. :D

After they got tanks filled we went to the south side…stopped by the Adventure Scuba site to see if Twobit happened to be there that day, he wasn't. We did Sisco the Shark as the step-daughter had never been there. She had a great time there, said it was the most fun she has had at the pond. Then went to the wall on the east side and did a little trip to the north. I was kinda a little surprised at the vis. on the south side of the pond; it was about 6-10 feet…in some places about 4 feet. Pretty good for that side of the pond, not many people there stirring things up.

We saw a few fish…the piranha perch were grouping but didn’t attack. There were a few bass and some of the little balls of tiny fishies…cute little buggers. Got to see a few of the balls of fish at about 4 foot of vis. Lost the kids about 5 times when they got energetic and did the torpedo thing by trying to cover distance real quick while I was looking around and trying to take some pics., but that was not a problem. I found them eventually and they were O.K. and waiting on me, one time at the surface.

Yeah Frank, I still have that Blue Water Funk in my eyes…if I can’t see it at 100 feet away I have to check it out a little closer. :D

We had a nice time, about an hour dive just playing around and having fun…and working on basic skills like water up nose, mask clearing (kid has got that one down) and working on the fear factors of being underwater and handling the normal irritations.

It was a nice day; step-daughter is improving her skills with every dive. She had a little shock when they did Puerto Vallarta a couple of months ago but she is recovering and learning from the shock of a nasty open ocean dive: low vis., cold water, currents-surge, the DM had her overweighted and not distibuted evenly so she kept getting the "roll" thing, and a very big open water place. She got a whole new meaning to “open water.”

I had fun, and so did everyone else. That’s the whole point. :D

I tried to post a few pics. but it still isn't working, said "upload failed." Put a few up here

O.K., this is just an attempt to try and upload some pics.

Happy, happy, joy joy! It worked! :jump:

I was out there on Saturday as well. We were set up in one of the shade pavillions in the middle of the west side. We were sharing with a small group of students with Surface Interval.

One thing I'm confused on, you say the vis was 4-6'. I could see a good 15' over most of the place and even your photo of Cisco shows at least 10' of him. (he's about 6' diameter isn't he?) How do you establish what is visible and what isn't? I always assumed if you could see it enough to identify it, it was visible. What criteria do you use?

We had three nice dives as well. Not nearly as crowded as it was three weeks ago.

I was at thwe pond on Sunday and had vis from 1ft. to 15ft.,,,,I was all over the pond.

sealskin98:
O.K., this is just an attempt to try and upload some pics.

Happy, happy, joy joy! It worked! :jump:
Alright, I dont see any attachments. What is the deal?

Willie

ZzzKing:
One thing I'm confused on, you say the vis was 4-6'. I could see a good 15' over most of the place and even your photo of Cisco shows at least 10' of him. (he's about 6' diameter isn't he?) How do you establish what is visible and what isn't? I always assumed if you could see it enough to identify it, it was visible. What criteria do you use?

I use the highly scientific and well proven formula of guesstimation. :D

We ran into a few "cloudy" areas along the wall, vis. went down pretty quick for a bit. Around Sisco it was 6-10 feet in most spots.

I just tried to upload a pic. of a bass on the east wall that's 5-6 feet away and you can't hardly see it. The uploads are saying "upload failed" again today. Will try again later.

wet-willie:
Alright, I dont see any attachments. What is the deal?

Willie

Don't have a clue Willie, I can still see and open the attachment of the B/W pic. of Sisco.

sealskin98:
I use the highly scientific and well proven formula of guesstimation. :D

Oh! Technical jargon, eh? Myself, I use the highly technical method that if I can't read my gauge in front of my mask the vis=0'. If i can see my fins, vis=5'. If i can see the diver following 5' behind me, the vis =10' and if I can see the fins of the diver following 5' behind me, the vis=15'. If I can see the whole boat, vis=25'+. If I can see the whole airplane or all of sisco, vis=40+. Those last two seem pretty rare but the 25' one seems to happen fairly often. Especially if I play hookey and head out there Friday afternoon.

sealskin98:
We ran into a few "cloudy" areas along the wall, vis. went down pretty quick for a bit. Around Sisco it was 6-10 feet in most spots.

I ran into a few of those along the wall as well. Seems most of those are cause by rooting catfish. The west bank is really clear, I guess because of all the hydrilla and the lack of divers in the shallower water.

sealskin98:
Don't have a clue Willie, I can still see and open the attachment of the B/W pic. of Sisco.

I can open the B/W photo fine.

ZzzKing:
I can open the B/W photo fine.
Here is what I see if if I dont log in.
attached2.jpg

and here is what I see if I am logged in.
attached1.jpg

I tried with Explorer, Safari & Firefox on MacOS. Didnt have a windows machine available.

I am unable to open an image in any of the 6 options.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom