Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rahab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to be down in the Crystal River area over the Xmas holidays and wanted to do some diving with my Newly certified daughter. We will also be traveling with one snorkeler. So shallow dives would be good but also want to hang with the manatees. Any recommendations on Dive shops and outfitter, or places to go? Would consider Kayaking too....

.....R

Snorkel with the Manatees in the Crystal River then drift dive or snorkel in the Rainbow River.

I've used American Pro located in the Crystal River area to snorkel and dive in Crystal River and drift dive in the Rainbow River. Other SB'ers have recommended Birds too, also located in the Crystal River area.

I had a good experience with Crystal River Watersports in February 2013. I absolutely loved snorkeling with the manatees. Three Sisters Springs was one of the most beautiful places I have ever snorkeled. The manatees there were just a bonus :)

The drift dive in Rainbow River was interesting (don't forget to carry less weight because of freshwater) because it was like diving in the freshwater aquariums I had as a child! Also did a dive in Devil's Den (cavern-type sinkhole), which I thought wasn't very interesting because I like to dive with fish and megafauna. There are no fish, just a couple of creepy signs with the grim reaper on them that say, "Prevent your death. Go no farther." Believe me, there was nothing to see but rocks. Oh, and a single freshwater turtle. The water was clear and it was a novelty. We swam around the sinkhole once in each direction, first clockwise then counterclockwise.

One thing I will say is that I needed a 5mm wetsuit to stay warm and they only rented 3mm. So I wound up going to a totally separate dive shop to get the 5mm. It was worth it. Everyone else was absolutely frozen (but me) during the manatee snorkel and cold boat ride back. (Again, this was in February so just check water temps for xmas time.)

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

The drift dive down the Rainbow River is fun. Very shallow dive. Just drift, don't kick. Weight for fresh water, but a shallow dive. Turtles and fish will be right along side you. You can also dive down to where the springs come in and try to stop them up with your hand if you are easily amused, as are we! It can be a long dive. We did it in 6 mm. I think the water was in the high 60s. The snorkel with the manatees was interesting. Do it early before they move off.

Did a combined manatee snorkel, king spring dive with Pro. You snorkeled than returned to boat and geared up and swam over and dove the spring. You should probably call this a cavern dive. Basically go down to a big room. There were a lot of fish at the entry to the spring. Not so many inside. The water outside was greenish but the since the water flows out there the water inside was crystal clear.

We also snorkeled with manatees on Homassasas river. Saw more big ones there but it can vary.

Rainbow River can be snorkeled or dove. My wife just came along for the ride and stayed on the boat. Fun in that the water is so clear (think perfectly clear), that from the pontoon she could watch the divers which was fun for her. Some big bowfin in the river in a couple spots. Did rainbow with Pro. Rented a 3mm and it was a chilly day. Would go for a 5.

If you are flying in and out of Orlando, and you have some money left over, you might want to hit Epcot. Very popular dive in the aquarium. It is so large that I did not feel like I was in a tank, more like swimming down a flooded city street. Lots of fish and stuff in a tank. You do not have to even go into the park to do the dive.

I'll 2nd American Pro and the recommendation to do Epcot as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom