Crystal River manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Vistited Crystal River/Homosassa last week after skipping last year. There are reportedly more manatees in the area than any time in the past 10 years. I didn't count, but I can definitely report more manatees than you can shake a stick at. If you've ever wanted to photograph manatees, now's the time. -Clay

f20bdd30.jpg

f24bdd30.jpg

f2cbdd30.jpg

Great shots Clay! I love the Manatees. I've got to get to FL one of these days to experience them. Looks like you had some nice clear water too.

Love that picture, very good shot. Just made it my screen saver for the week on computer number 2.

N

good work; is it a manatee or a dougong?

Great pix, what camera system do you use?

Thanks to all for the kudos. Here are some answers to some of the posted questions:

They're manatees (note the rounded tail fluke)

The posted photos were taken with a Nikon D300, Tokina 12-24mm with a +2 diopter, Ike housing. I used aperture priority at f5.6, ISO 400, zero exposure compensation. Shutter speeds usually turned out to be in the 1/300 range.

The quality of photos from this area has little to do with the camera system used and everything to do with water clarity and conditions. Your photos will be much better if you can find animals in the head springs instead of in the rivers. All of the posted photos were taken within the head springs at 3 Sisters off Crystal River. The manatees will generally enter the head spring at high tide, and it's also important to go when the area is not swarmed with other people. So, I go in mid-week on a day with high tide early to mid-morning. Even in the clearest waer, it's important to photograph with the sun directly behind you--side or back lighting will really light up the junk in the water. I drive to the area (about 11 hours from Baton Rouge) and pull my own boat, so I can pick the day at the last minute and I have complete control of when I'm on site. Hope this helps. -Clay

Very nice pics. Of course there are more manatees than usual, I planned on going this month and will not be making it :( What operation did you dive with?

Mike: I brought my own boat and didn't use a local operator. Not practical to do from CA, but I think you can rent a little bateau at the Crystal River Lodge (Best Western) if you stay there. If you have a boat on a trailer, I stayed at the Sea Grass in Homosassa Springs--cheap with a free boat launch on the Homosassa for guests. We drove the short distance to Pete's Pier in Crystal River to launch ($10) on Crystal River. Short run from there to 3 Sisters. After sharing gas and room money with a buddy, I spent about $350 for this whole trip (plus 2 days of driving). Here are 2 more pix:

f17d3bd0.jpg

f1bbdd30.jpg

Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom