Crystal River Dive and Manatee suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Day! I am hoping you Florida Locals (and perhaps some that have just visited Florida) can give me some suggestions. The misses and I are hoping to visit Florida mid October and we are hoping to get some suggestions. I am a certified diver, the misses is not. She would like to snorkel with the manatees and I would like to sneak in a dive or two. We would be staying in Orlando and would be more than happy to drive up to Crystal River one morning. What I am hoping for would be:

1) Some suggestions of good reputable shops in the area that would offer something that the misses and I could do together. I am NOT looking for the cheapest shop in town, I am looking for good service and am willing to pay for it.

2) I would like to do something where her and I could snorkel with the manatees and then we go somewhere I can do a dive while she snorkels above. I do not want her to be bored while I am in the water having fun. I do not mind shallow dives as long as it is something she would enjoy also.

Thank you all for your time and energy,
Ben

I like "Bird's Underwater" but "American Pro" is also good. There are several others but both of these two have good reputations and good people.

hambleto:
1) Some suggestions of good reputable shops in the area that would offer something that the misses and I could do together. I am NOT looking for the cheapest shop in town, I am looking for good service and am willing to pay for it.

2) I would like to do something where her and I could snorkel with the manatees and then we go somewhere I can do a dive while she snorkels above. I do not want her to be bored while I am in the water having fun. I do not mind shallow dives as long as it is something she would enjoy also.
Ben, I live in Tampa, just south of Crystal River, and I took my kids this past "winter" to dive with the manatees at http://www.plantationinn.com

We didn't stay at the hotel, it was a day trip, but it appears to be nice. They have a dive shop on site that you can either go out on a group dive or rent your own pontoon and head out by yourself. We rented the pontoon, which i highly suggest. It is only idle speed, no wake, so you don't have to worry about other boaters and it is very easy to find the manatees. The dive shop will provide you with a map on how to get to the exact locations where the manatees hide out. By having your own boat, the two of you can stay as long as you want and cruise around the river at your leisure.

Hit the water early or you will lose your vis due to the cattle boats and people stiring up the bottom. Your wife will have no problem being with you. Most people there will be snorkeling and usually about 6 or so divers. The depth will range from 5 feet down to 40 in one particular spot. October is a little early but you should have no problem being as close as you want to them. Make sure you call the hotel/dive shop to see if the manatees are there at that time before you make the trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom