Crystal Pier pilings (5-08-2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
SeaYoda and I just finished diving the Crystal Beach Pier Pilings.

Boy the sand erosion from recent hurricanes has really filled in the sand around the pilings. What used to be 12-15+ feet deep is now only 6-9 feet deep. Not really worth hauling your gear out for that.

It still wasn't a terrible dive, but the wave surge was enough to bounce you around a lot because of the shallow conditions. Worst part was all the floating "june grass" which made vis go down to 5-10 feet in a few places.

I've included a few pics, but most were worthless because of the june grass. You can see it in some of the pics.

Not a terrible dive, but definately done better. The shallow conditions have really changed the dive over the years. Still better than being at work though. :)

-mike

What kind of fish in the last pic?

Still looks like a fun dive :)

It was a good dive despite the changes in depth and June grass. I hope the algae doesn't get too bad for the Jetty dive Friday.

That last fish? I dunno.... Sea Yoda and I decided to call them "convict" fish.

of course we were almost "convicts" too. The beach patrol was sitting on their 4 wheelers waiting on us for diving without a flag. :)

The guy was pretty nice though and just told us that we should be using a flag when diving there because of boats. He agreed with us though when we said that it would be pretty funny to see a boat run into that area with all the pilings broken off just a few feet below the waterline. (hmmmm.... that's be a nice new wreck to dive on....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom