Cryptic teardrop crab molt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I posted one of these pics earlier this week, but I've just now realized what it is. I thought these were two crabs, but while wondering about how pristine the shell on the large crab on the left is (cryptics are decorators), I now see that it has just molted from the shell on the right. This isn't the first time I've inadvertently captured behavior in macro shots. I'm posting the photo again plus another view where the split in the back of the molted shell is more clear (I know, it doesn't take much to get me excited).

a69bcd30.jpg

aa2d3bd0.jpg

Clay

Nice macro work. I'm curious as to the scale I'm seeing here and what is the item the crab is on?

Sea ya!

Sasquatch:
Nice macro work. I'm curious as to the scale I'm seeing here and what is the item the crab is on?

Sea ya!

The scale is less than 1 inch. The crab is on fire coral, where they're often seen at night. The scale is small enough to see the fine filaments with nematocysts on the fire coral. The crab itself is tiny.

That is SWEET!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom