Cruising to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmed

Reaction score
My family and I are taking our first cruise the middle of June. We are going to Cozumel and are wanting to dive. The cruise line (Carnival) offers diving excursions through the ship. First, has anyone ever been diving using the ships dive shops and what you thought of them. Second, can I get a recommedation on a good dive shop on the island (no cattle boats). Looking for a fun trip for my family and some friends. Also, what would be a good first dive spot on the island? Thanks in advance for any response. Randy

jrmed:
My family and I are taking our first cruise the middle of June. We are going to Cozumel and are wanting to dive. The cruise line (Carnival) offers diving excursions through the ship. First, has anyone ever been diving using the ships dive shops and what you thought of them.

MOOOOO, you do want to make your own arrangement to dive while on your cruise. The dive operators that contract with the cruise lines gear plan follow the leader dives with limited bottom times and are geared to the least experienced diver in the group. Usually large boats with a strict schedule to keep. If this sounds like your type of diving, and you want to convenience of booking the diving thru the cruise line (at a usually higher price), then go for it.

jrmed:
Second, can I get a recommedation on a good dive shop on the island (no cattle boats). Looking for a fun trip for my family and some friends. Also, what would be a good first dive spot on the island? Thanks in advance for any response. Randy

Eagle Ray diving get LOTS of positive reviews for other cruise divers. They will take a mixed group of divers and snorkelers out on a trip, each group with their own guide. Having a mixed group can make the trip last longer, but if you want to stay together that is the price you pay.

I can personally recommend Blue XT-Sea diving as a cruiser friendly dive op. No snorkelers, but excellent service, and a small fast boat with plenty of shade. Long surface interval at a beach club is their usual procedure.

Finally, for a mixed group of divers and snorkelers you can make arrangements with Blue Angel diving . I haven't used them, but have read good things about them.

You don't have to worry about the dive sites. All the sites in Coz are at least good and this being your first time there, you won't know the difference. Just tell the dive op your experience level and they will help you choose the site. Or tell them if there is anything special you want to see because some sites are better than others for certain things, like sea horses.

We've used Papa Hogs - no cattle boats, just fast six packs - good prices - also Mike & Margaret are the best people ....

I've been on cruises before, not to Cozumel, but to other parts of the Caribbean. If you book with an operator that the cruise line works with, it'll be geared toward the time that the ship arrives. Therefore, no long waits prior to getting in the water, but as stated above, it will likely be on a cattle car with a strict schedule to adhere to. If you book on your own, I would go for a 2-tank afternoon trip. The morning trips usually leave pretty early, and just because the cruise itinerary says it'll be there at 7:00 am doesn't mean you'll be offboard and ready to get on a dive boat at 8:00.

Mel

I agree with Kat - Pappa Hogs is the best operation on the island IMHO. Margaret will be more than happy to work within your schedule. Pappa Hogs also put you on a boat (no more than six divers) with like experience levels so you have a good comfort level.

Diver Kat:
We've used Papa Hogs - no cattle boats, just fast six packs - good prices - also Mike & Margaret are the best people ....

Does Papa Hogs have a web-site? Thanks for the response.

scubaotter:
I agree with Kat - Pappa Hogs is the best operation on the island IMHO. Margaret will be more than happy to work within your schedule. Pappa Hogs also put you on a boat (no more than six divers) with like experience levels so you have a good comfort level.

I'm just curious. Have you ever dove with another operator in Cozumel?

I am not picking on you or Papa Hogs. I just get so frustrated when people use this term "the BEST on the island." How can you possibly know this if you have only dove with one operation? There are several very good operators on the island. What's the best for one person is not the best for another.
I have dove with Papa Hogs and a couple of handfuls of other operators over the past decade or so and agree that Papa Hogs runs a nice quality operation, but they are far from "the BEST" IMO.
It's great if you like them and are happy with the service you get from them but please refrain from saying they are the best because that term is very subjective.

Some people I know who have been to Coz 20+ times and nearly everywhere else took a family cruise there last week. They went with Aqua Safari for a 1 day of diving. They liked them.

I was there week before last and dove with Blue Angel. They are great. Let you dive your tank.

Here's the website for Papa Hogs. I won't swear they are the best on the island - too many operators get rave reviews - but I've done all my diving with them on two trips last year and they were terrific. And it's hard to switch once you find someone you like - especially as I had a bad experience with the op I used prior to PH. When we first hooked up with PH it was based on prices (good), e-mail response to questions (fast), 6 pack boats, and much positive feedback from the boards.

Hope you have a great time, no matter who you use!!

http://www.papahogs.com/

caribdiver:
I'm just curious. Have you ever dove with another operator in Cozumel?

I am not picking on you or Papa Hogs. I just get so frustrated when people use this term "the BEST on the island." How can you possibly know this if you have only dove with one operation? There are several very good operators on the island. What's the best for one person is not the best for another.
I have dove with Papa Hogs and a couple of handfuls of other operators over the past decade or so and agree that Papa Hogs runs a nice quality operation, but they are far from "the BEST" IMO.
It's great if you like them and are happy with the service you get from them but please refrain from saying they are the best because that term is very subjective.

Inyour HO what are some of the top dive shops on the island?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom