Cruising Gear and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

local76sparky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I booked a cruise for June '13. We are using Carnival again, and are stopping in Antigua, Tortola, St Thomas and Nassau. I didn't quite get my ports that I was hoping for but none the less I am going to get in the water at least at one port. I have done some searches here, but haven't quite gotten it all answered up. I am leery about using the Cruise lines dive excursions but also don't want to have problems and get left either. Has anyone ever dove any of these spots with or with out the Cruise line? I've done the cattle boat in Hawaii, Cozumel and it was fine but just not sure i want to this time.

I know we aren't going to dive in the Bahamas. She is really wanting to do the Atlantis thing there. I would love to dive the Rhone in Tortola but have also heard that people have been less than impressed with it too. Just starting to look into Antigua and St Thomas for diving so I don't have any preconceived notions there.

My next concern is what to bring. Being in the PNW all my gear is not quite travel easy. I am leaning towards checking a 3rd bag for the gear. I just feel that if I wont get in the water here with out certain things than why should I just because there is 100 ft of viz. No question i will have my life gear with me in my carry on. But Pony Set up, lights, fins, Zeagle Tech (not sure i want to dive with out it!!) etc starts to add up when its just a cruise. Any opinions would be great!

Thanks.

David

Just got back from a cruise and Coki Beach Dive Center Coki Dive Center | St Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands | Scuba and Snorkel was good. It was me, one other diver and the DM. $66.00 for two guided dives, fun dives and a good guide. Cab from the pier was $25 each way for me and my wife. The cabs will not leave until it was full, but the dive shop seemed used to this and waited for me. My wife loved the snorkeling.

As for gear, I brought BCD, regulator set, mask, fins, etc. and a 2 mil shorty.

BTW, tanks and weights were included in all the dives I did, included in the base price, and full rental equipment was also available at all of the dives I did, Aruba, Curacao, and St. Thomas.

Just got back from a cruise and Coki Beach Dive Center Coki Dive Center | St Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands | Scuba and Snorkel was good. It was me, one other diver and the DM. $66.00 for two guided dives, fun dives and a good guide. Cab from the peir was $25 each way for me and my wife. The cabs will not leave until it was full, but the dive shop seemed used to this and waited for me. My wife loved the snorkeling.

As for gear, I brought BCD, regulator set, mask, fins, etc. and a 2 mil shorty.

BTW, tanks and weights were included in all the dives I did, included in the base price, and full rental equipment was also available at all of the dives I did, Aruba, Curacao, and St. Thomas.

Thanks for the reply! Coki looks nice. were you able to see much of St Thomas as well? It looks like if you could catch an early reservation that you might be able too walk around town or hang out at a beach? Not sure what id do with the gear afterwards but could figure something out im sure.

We hung out at the beach and had a beer afterwards, we left the gear at the dive shop. My wife was on her own, just snorkeling with her own gear, but the shop had no problem with her leaving her gear with mine. We did a little shopping before we got back on the ship, the port is like a gigantic duty free store. I have been doing two cruises a year for twenty years and don't feel any great need for an island tour. They all start to look the same after a while.

On St. Thomas look at Admiralty Dive or Blue Island Divers. Both pick you up off the cruise pier and are in town so there's no issue about missing the boat. You should even have time to look around Charlotte Amalie near the cruise port in the afternoon.

I don't generally wreck dive. But I liked the Rhone - both halves are interesting - plus:
The RMS Rhone is considered to be one of the world’s best wreck dive sites
The other nice thing about diving the Rhone from Tortola is that you'll get a mini-tour of the BVI's on the way over there - it's off Salt Island across the channel. It's a very pleasant ride. It's actually 2 dives, they'll change moorings between dives - it split in two before it went down. DiveBVI has some info about it: RMS Rhone | Dive BVI - you won't be diving with them, they're based on Virgin Gorda. Bring a small light for it - you won't really need it as the swim-thru is open to the sides but you'll see more.

My next concern is what to bring. Being in the PNW all my gear is not quite travel easy. I am leaning towards checking a 3rd bag for the gear. I just feel that if I wont get in the water here with out certain things than why should I just because there is 100 ft of viz. No question i will have my life gear with me in my carry on. But Pony Set up, lights, fins, Zeagle Tech (not sure i want to dive with out it!!) etc starts to add up when its just a cruise. Any opinions would be great!

Thanks.

David

In regards to the Pony bottle...I don't think you'll be able to get on the ship with it. I wanted to take my Spare Air for our dive cruises and received a great big no.
Have a great trip.

When I worked on Carnival, I managed to get my life (including all my dive gear, tools for work, etc.) into 2 pieces if luggage and a carry-on. I'm sure you can do it for a week long cruise.

From Carnival's website, search "tanks" in FAQ. It looks like you won't be able to bring your brass knuckles either.

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding
• Large coolers
• Alcohol in unsealed containers
• Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)
• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)
• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)
• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)
• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)
• Taser or electronic stun guns
• Pepper or mace sprays
• Telescopic or regular batons
• Martial arts equipment (Including., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)
• Handcuffs, brass knuckles
• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders
• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)
• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings
• Household goods or tools of trade
• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid
• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)
• Medical Marijuana
• Bicycles
• Surfboards - (Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length are allowed for use in port only)
• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)
• Boats/canoes
• Segways
• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes
• Lasers
• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)

If you decide to dive in St. Thomas with Admiralty or Blue Island, you won't need your pony bottle or much of anything else, safety wise. Both are well prepared for it. A pony bottle is always hung on the decent line at 15 feet. The diving there is a little known secret and safety is always top of the list! Depending on when you're traveling, I would bring your own wetsuit. During the winter months, water temps are running in the mid to high 70's. Summer months it warms up to the high 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom