Cruising and Diving - How to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Since I moved to St. Thomas a little over a year ago, I've had more and more contact with cruise ship guests and the operators that support them. I see on this board a fair number of divers that want to dive while on a cruise but they aren't sure if the cruise ship shore excursion is the way to go or if there is a better operator at a destination so I thought I would post a little of what I know in order to help clarify some of the issues surrounding going outside of the shore ex desk.

What does it mean to book through the cruise line?

The operators that have contracts with the ships have given the cruise lines a very specific and detailed explanation as to what services they will provide. This applies to all of the shore excursions, but I'll concentrate on the dive operators. The exact dive sites may not be named, but the 'type' of dive will. The exact schedule will be noted along with instructor/guest ratios, length of dive, depth of dive and the expected dive conditions. Keeping in mind that the boats are of mixed experience and since the primary concern of the cruise lines is to limit liability, the sites are likely to cater to the lowest common denominator which is the uncertified diver doing a discover scuba diving lesson (resort course).

The operators are also bound to returning the guests to the ship in plenty of time for them to make the ship's call which means that the schedule they've contracted to provide is very strict. For the guest this also means that the ship will wait for guests that have booked an dive through the shore excursions desk although there will be a penalty to the contracted dive operator.

What does it mean to book independently?

Because unaffiliated shops have not agreed to provide any specific service to the cruise ship guests, there is a great deal of flexibility/variation in what exact services will be provided and therefore won't have the same degree in consistency from port to port. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the location and the operator. By reading this you're already researching the shops you might use, so it's likely that with the good folks of Scubaboard's advice you'll be choosing the 'good' end of the spectrum, but it is something to be aware of. Some of the factors that a diver could benefit from by going outside of the shore excursion desk would be in site selection, tailoring the dives to the experience level of the divers, divemaster/diver ratios, and length of the dives.

Dive operators not affiliated by contract with the cruise lines may or may not be willing to schedule dives around the cruise passengers schedule depending on what time the ship arrives/departs and what the schedule already looks like for the day in question. Shops not operating under cruise ship contracts will also suffer no penalty for getting passengers back to the ship late and the passengers will suffer the consequences for missing the ship. Although I would hope that most, if not all, operators would understand that getting people back late is bad for business, there is no contractual obligation between the two for the ship to wait.

Other factors

How do you get to and from the dive boat? Ship's operators will gather up the divers and walk them to the boat or the shop and make sure they get on board and then back to the ship at the end of the day and while other operators may make similar provisions, it could be up to you to find them and get yourself back when it's all over. This could mean taking a taxi or walking to another shop on your own without the benefit of a guide.

The size of the boat and the number of passengers likely varies by port so I'll not comment on that or on the price since I just don't know those numbers but they are easy enough to find out depending on your itinerary.

Summary

Going through the ship's shore excursions desk is more certainly the safest in terms of being helped through the process and guaranteeing that you'll be returned to the ship that will be in port at the end of the day. You make give up diving many of the available sites and may be diving with people of less experience and the potential for shorter dives exists.

Choosing to book on your own means that you'll gain flexibility in many key areas but that flexibility could come at the cost of having to be more self-reliant in terms of getting to and from the dive boat.

There is no right or wrong decision, but before you decide to go one way or the other, it will greatly benefit you to look at your ports of call and choose the operator that makes the most sense for you based on your feelings about your ability to successfully navigate unfamiliar areas, your dive experience, and ultimately how you feel about the operators you choose to dive with.

I hope this little guide helps answer some questions you might have about cruising and diving!

Rachel

EXCELLENT POST RACHEL! And a very worthy topic.

It irks me to no end to see the maligning dive excursions offered by the cruise lines often receive here on ScubaBoard.

As a former contractor to Royal Caribbean, I know their contracts are written to ensure the Discover Scuba folks are on a different boat than certified divers.

Another negative (but usually inaccurate) point I often see posted is related to the price the cruise lines charge. In my experience, the price is usually within $10 of the walk-up price. As the cruise lines buy space in bulk, their price was lower to begin with and that's their profit margin. Another consideration is that in places where the dive operator isn't near the cruise dock, the cruise line price includes transportation to/from the shop (as you noted as well).

I personally always book through the cruise line and although my experience is limited to ONLY Royal Caribbean in about a dozen Caribbean ports, I'm yet to have a bad dive from a cruise ship.
I'm currently booked for cruises to Hawaii (09/2008) and another one-way cruise from Sydney to HI via Tahiti and the Cook Islands (04/2009) and I'll certainly post a dive report of my experiences on both.

The operators that have contracts with the ships have given the cruise lines a very specific and detailed explanation as to what services they will provide. This applies to all of the shore excursions, but I'll concentrate on the dive operators. The exact dive sites may not be named, but the 'type' of dive will. The exact schedule will be noted along with instructor/guest ratios, length of dive, depth of dive and the expected dive conditions. Keeping in mind that the boats are of mixed experience and since the primary concern of the cruise lines is to limit liability, the sites are likely to cater to the lowest common denominator which is the uncertified diver doing a discover scuba diving lesson (resort course).

Rachel

I have done four cruises, and always dived during the cruise every chance I have.

Having done both "book my own" and "dive excursions", I've found the "book my own" trips to generally be worth the extra effort. It pays to be picky, and to find out who you are diving with and what people are saying about it.

The downside is that you are often taking a cab and rushing to make the dive boat, but the up side is you are also often back before the excursion is, and you can clean up and still tour the town, plus you usually get a better dive experience.

As mentioned the cruise ship excursions are built around the "new diver", and I've yet to see one that makes accommodations for experienced divers.

It irks me to no end to see the maligning dive excursions offered by the cruise lines often receive here on ScubaBoard.

As a former contractor to Royal Caribbean, I know their contracts are written to ensure the Discover Scuba folks are on a different boat than certified divers.

Another negative (but usually inaccurate) point I often see posted is related to the price the cruise lines charge. In my experience, the price is usually within $10 of the walk-up price. As the cruise lines buy space in bulk, their price was lower to begin with and that's their profit margin. Another consideration is that in places where the dive operator isn't near the cruise dock, the cruise line price includes transportation to/from the shop (as you noted as well).

I personally always book through the cruise line and although my experience is limited to ONLY Royal Caribbean in about a dozen Caribbean ports, I'm yet to have a bad dive from a cruise ship.
I'm currently booked for cruises to Hawaii (09/2008) and another one-way cruise from Sydney to HI via Tahiti and the Cook Islands (04/2009) and I'll certainly post a dive report of my experiences on both.

Deepstops,

I've done three cruises on RCL, and one on Norwegian. My experiences on the RCL dive excursions were disappointing. While RCL handled the booking and arrangements well, the operators did not live up to what I expected.

First, I will agree that expense is not a reason to avoid booking an excursion. In nearly every case, it has cost me more to book myself than it would have to use the excursions offered.

For example, I did a dive excursion in Key West three years ago. The "dive boat" turned out to a large pontoon party boat. There were four divers and a DM, and about 15 snorkel passengers. Needless to say, the reefs we went to were no more than twenty feet deep. Poor visibility and lots of surge were the dives of the day. Also, I had snorkelers diving down on me the whole time, pulling on my hoses and fins. After the trip was over and the boat was on it's way back, the operator passed out drinks to everyone but us "because RCL didn't pay them to provide us alcohol". That's fine, but the option would have been nice...

My second excursion dive was on an RCL Eastern Carib cruise that hit St. Maarten two years ago. The dive operator there picked us up from the ship, took us to their shop, and then out on their boat. All went well, until he dropped anchor while we were still in the bay. Our "dives" were on sand and rock. No reef to speak of, and once again very poor visibility and conditions. We had approximately 20 divers, and we were divided up by "port side divers follow him, starboard side divers follow her". No segregation by skills. Finally, this boat had several coolers on the center part of the deck. They didn't tie them down, so they were sliding around whenever the boat rocked. Very unsafe.

I have other examples I can provide, but these are the two I think of the most when this conversation comes up.

The other dives on these cruises I booked myself with my own operators, and my experiences there were far superior. Sometimes I wonder if the problem is the dive boats just don't expect excursion passengers to tip, and so won't bother trying to earn one.

We've had bad experiences with our own arrangements as well, but not with the consistency of RCL dive excursions. I'm sorry that my experiences don't match what you as an employee and RCL in general are attempting to present. However, as a customer who actually does really like the RCL line, these are my experiences.

And yes, we did bring up our complaints at the time to the Purser's desk. They simply gave us an 800 number to file a complaint, and said thanks for the feedback.

Hello, I'm going on a Carnival cruise in December. Can anyone tell me what I need to bring with me on the diving trip? Do people wear wetsuits or swim suits? What stuff will I need to bring with me from home? Thanks:D

Last edited:
Deepstops,

I've done three cruises on RCL, and one on Norwegian. My experiences on the RCL dive excursions were disappointing. While RCL handled the booking and arrangements well, the operators did not live up to what I expected.

First, I will agree that expense is not a reason to avoid booking an excursion. In nearly every case, it has cost me more to book myself than it would have to use the excursions offered.

For example, I did a dive excursion in Key West three years ago. The "dive boat" turned out to a large pontoon party boat. There were four divers and a DM, and about 15 snorkel passengers. Needless to say, the reefs we went to were no more than twenty feet deep. Poor visibility and lots of surge were the dives of the day. Also, I had snorkelers diving down on me the whole time, pulling on my hoses and fins. After the trip was over and the boat was on it's way back, the operator passed out drinks to everyone but us "because RCL didn't pay them to provide us alcohol". That's fine, but the option would have been nice...

My second excursion dive was on an RCL Eastern Carib cruise that hit St. Maarten two years ago. The dive operator there picked us up from the ship, took us to their shop, and then out on their boat. All went well, until he dropped anchor while we were still in the bay. Our "dives" were on sand and rock. No reef to speak of, and once again very poor visibility and conditions. We had approximately 20 divers, and we were divided up by "port side divers follow him, starboard side divers follow her". No segregation by skills. Finally, this boat had several coolers on the center part of the deck. They didn't tie them down, so they were sliding around whenever the boat rocked. Very unsafe.

I have other examples I can provide, but these are the two I think of the most when this conversation comes up.

The other dives on these cruises I booked myself with my own operators, and my experiences there were far superior. Sometimes I wonder if the problem is the dive boats just don't expect excursion passengers to tip, and so won't bother trying to earn one.

We've had bad experiences with our own arrangements as well, but not with the consistency of RCL dive excursions. I'm sorry that my experiences don't match what you as an employee and RCL in general are attempting to present. However, as a customer who actually does really like the RCL line, these are my experiences.

And yes, we did bring up our complaints at the time to the Purser's desk. They simply gave us an 800 number to file a complaint, and said thanks for the feedback.

While I'm not an employee of Royal (contractors onboard are treated more like passengers actually) I'm sorry to hear you've had bad experiences on dives booked through Royal. I can't speak about either of the locations you've mentioned as I haven't dove in either.
Living in Florida, I generally consider Key West to be poor diving unless it's a technical dive. Rachel can attest to the fact the diving improves significantly just 20-30 miles up the road from KW.

Hello, I'm going on a cruise in December. Can you tell me what I need to bring with me on the diving trip? Do people wear wetsuits or swim suits? What stuff will I need to bring with me from home? Thanks:D

Where is the cruise going??

Deepstops,

My second excursion dive was on an RCL Eastern Carib cruise that hit St. Maarten two years ago. The dive operator there picked us up from the ship, took us to their shop, and then out on their boat. All went well, until he dropped anchor while we were still in the bay. Our "dives" were on sand and rock. No reef to speak of, and once again very poor visibility and conditions.

Yup I had the same experience with Royal Caribbean's dive excursion in Cozumel. Drift dive over sand because they didn't want to spend money on gas so we dove right next to their shop.

But the Royal Caribbean op in Belize was very good.

FWIW I usually book on my own now when I cruise.

If the vendor for the dive excursion provided a poor experience, I certainly hope you made your complaint known to RCL. They bent over backwards to keep their customer (me) happy in my one bad experience (not a diving related complaint, it was horrible food served on a tour in Rome).

Great posts by Rachel and Deepstops, kudos to both of you!!! While my experience has been limited to only Carnival (my brother works for them so I cruise free :D), I have NEVER had a bad dive with any of their shore excursion operators after visiting about two dozen Caribbean ports. Seems like they go the "extra mile" for the cruise ship guests as our feedback to the ship has always been of utmost concern to every operator I have been with. They take feedback VERY seriously, to say the least.

I have seen others on the same dives come back disappointed, angry, and frustrated and from what I have witnessed every time it was through no fault of the operators, but rather inexperience was the culprit (lost masks, underweighted, equalization problems, etc.) More often then not, it is the drift dives that are killers to this bunch. On my last cruise I watched a group that dove wonderfully in Grand Cayman together turn around and flounder (to say the least) in the currents of Cozumel the very next day.

I have had mixed results on cruise ship dive excursions.

The Carnival "5 Star one-tank certified dive" at Coki beach in Saint Thomas was one of the worst diving experiences I ever had. I paid either $75 or $90 3 years ago and it turned out to be a shore dive where you geared up in the sand and had to fight through a large number or snorkelers just to get out to depth. The reef was marginal at best. My wife and daughter were not certified at time and ended up at the marine exhibit located at Coki beach. I might have been better off doing that then diving.

Carnival has a LOT of nerve calling the Coki beach dive a "5 Star" dive.

I went on another dive in Aruba from Carnival and they used Red Sail which most people seem to hate but I thought they did a decent job and I enjoyed the diving. It was a two-tank boat dive.

The diving from NCL in Bermuda was pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom