Cruisin to Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Advice needed please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be going on a cruise in August with my family. They just got their certification last August in FL. The diving was fun (shark teeth hunting) but the visibility was really bad, so they didn't really get to experience what diving really can be like.

So here are my questions for you all. Any advice or opinions are welcome!

First of all, we are stopping in the Caymans, Costa Maya and Cozumel three days in a row. Would three days straight of diving be too much? If we just did two, which two? I did a shore dive in the Caymans and a drift dive in Cozumel and loved both! I would kind of like to dive in Costa Maya as it would be some place different.

I would also like to avoid the ships dives if I could. However, I am a little nervous about short time ashore. (I sure don't want to miss the boat!)

Cayman - 10:45 to 4:45
Costa Maya - 12:45 to 5:30
Cozumel - 8:30 - 5:30

The Cayman and Costa Maya ones seem awfully short to me.

If we do go off on our own, who would you recommend?

We used Alison in Cozumel but didn't dive with her specifically as she was busy already. In the Caymans we went to Eden rock. That was fun but may want to try something different.

Because we are all newbies, I would like this to be as easy and stress free as possible. Also, I don't want to slow any other divers down. Do some offer private dives (for a family of four).

Thanks for any tips and advice

My wife and I dove Costa Maya several years ago and were unimpressed. In Cayman, rent a car and do a shore dive at the Cracked Conch. $10 a bottle for air. Great dive shop on the premises and excellent food. Super reef and ridiculously easy entry and exit. My recommendation for Coz is mantaraya divers. Fernando will take you and your family to Palancar/Columbia for the DAY. No limit on time, no cattle boats. My family has dived with Fernando twice and we'll do it again. We asked him for some dos Equis and he had a bunch onboard for our trip back in.

Enjoy!

While I agree with the above poster about Turtle Reef (Cracked Conch) it is all the way to NW Point. Could be a 1/2 hr. each way if you run into any traffic in town or farther north. Doesn't happen often but it did to us once during the week near the Ritz-Carlton.

An alternative might be Sunset House, it's a 2min. cab ride from the port, it's an easy entry shore dive, the newer divers can get photos with the Mermaid at 50' and there's lots of fish. There's also a small wreck slightly farther out in 60' or so. My Bar there for lunch - great sandwiches. And if you have time see the Cathy Church photo gallery - also there in the basement of the main house. You could probably do two dives and lunch within your timeframe. http://www.sunsethouse.com/

You might also contact Indigo Divers, they do a 1/2 day 2-tank charter for $660 total - 1 tank is $480. Not sure if they could do it all within your timeframe. They'll also pick you up somewhere nearby afaik. Cayman Islands diving, Indigo Divers, dive Grand Cayman, USS Kittiwake wreck dive

Short shore time + tender operation makes ship's excursion much more attractive if they are available.

In Cozumel I can highly recommend Dressel Divers. They are at the Iberostar resort which is an all inclusive, but you can get a day pass to the resort to dive with them. They are very close to some of the best sites in Cozi, so close that they come back to the resort on their surface interval. That means you can catch the second morning dive (10:30 or so), which would be good given your ship's arrival time. You could then do the first afternoon dive before needing to head back to the ship. Tends to be a little deep there, but it's all drift diving so very easy...just listen to the dive masters. Have a great time!

Dressel Divers gets a thumbs up from me. Sand Dollar Sports may also be able to work with your times on Cozumel. I liked Costa Maya very much last year when I was there, but it depends on the site. Avoid the cruise set up and go with Bucanero Del Caribe instead: Welcome at the website of Bucanero del Caribe. Let them know you are an experienced diver and you are not looking for the "cruise tour". They are small operation but will give you a good time and should be able to fit your schedule. Have a great time!

You have to factor in time to tender in Grand Cayman,it could take you quite a bit of time to get on island.

I doubt if any dive op would recommend boat dives with the short amount of time you have.

The closest shore dive op would be Eden Rock,it will probably the most crowded also they cater to the snorkelers from the ships.

Sunset House would be the next closest ,don't try walking to or from the cruise ship terminal it will take a lot of time,take a cab if you choose them.

If drift diving isn't much of a concern to you, I'd recommend Cozumel over Grand Cayman. I had been to Grand Cayman about 15 times prior to a couple years ago, and since have returned to Cozumel three times because I think Cozumel is healthier than most sites off Grand Cayman. The north side of Grand Cayman is spectacular, but hard to get to and pretty much impossible with the time given on land. If you decide on Grand Cayman, I would also add Don Foster's to the list of possibilities. Similar to Sunset House, it has a really easy in and out for shore diving, and would be able to arrange a dive master for your family. (It doesn't have the great restaurant with a view that Sunset House has though!)

That said, I don't have a great recommendation for private dives in Cozumel. I've used some of the larger ones (Dive Paradise the last two times), and I don't think their times work with your times on land. I've read a lot about Aldora and Blue Angel on this site. Others would know which operators would schedule a private outing for your family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom