Cruise stop in Cozumel- short report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, we got home from our cruise last night, and time is short- but I wanted to post a little something about it asap. We dove in Cozumel at the Chankanaab Marine Park, which was just perfect for me for my first salt/blue water experience. After our cruise ship docked, we took a cab to the park, where we found one of the 4 dive shops inside, and made arrangements to dive with a guide there. It was a nice, easy, long shore dive- to about 25-28 ft. We saw lots of cool fish including spotted drum and spotted damsel, seasnake, lobster, coral, sunken statues, rays, and even got to take a short trip through the ceynotes to see the tarpon. (locked arm in arm with our guide)- there was a "reverse" thermocline in there, you could see it above your head. It looked like a completely flat surface a few feet above, and when you put your arm up there it was really cold (from the fresh water springs), compared with the warm Caribbean water we were in. Outside the cavern, we got in a huge "wall" of sardines, it was the highlight of the dive for me! There were literally thousands of them surrounding us, it looked like fireworks all around. I played with them by moving my arm in a circle, and they would sway back and forth with me. I felt relaxed and exhilarated throughout the dive, loved it and was sorry when it ended- I have found a new love! Already planning our next trip- sigh... More later- Roatan report coming,
Foo

Foo....that 'seasnake' you saw was probably a Sharptail Eel. There are no true sea snakes in the Caribbean. And your 'sardines' were probably Silversides. But I relish your enthusiasm! I'd say you are truly addicted. :D

Hi again, Dee! I asked the guide (50 yr old nice & polite Mexican man) if that was a seasnake and he nodded and said yes, but perhaps he did not understand me. It looked like a big millipede/centipede, in the sand. And wiggled like a snake. We asked him about the wall of silver fish and he said it was sardines. But, again there may be a translation issue. But it was certainly an amazing sight.
Foo

Yeah, translation has alot to do with it. Some of the DM/guides will just agree to whatever you say because you are the paying guest. Not right but they don't take chances.

Now that you're hooked, invest in the Paul Humann/Ned Deloach series of ID books called The Reef Set. At the very least, buy the Reef Fish ID book. You'll be so glad you did!

That's what we were saying the whole vacation... "we gotta get some kind of fish I.D. book!". Thanks for the tip. I will look for that set.

Foo

Looks like the next step is the 8 days/7 nights thing somewhere, huh?

Sounds like you had a good time, and got "hooked" like the rest of us! :D

I think I'm going into withdrawals again.

Foo:
there was a "reverse" thermocline in there, you could see it above your head. It looked like a completely flat surface a few feet above, and when you put your arm up there it was really cold (from the fresh water springs), compared with the warm Caribbean water we were in.

This would have been a halocline. The fresh water floating on top of the salt water. The fresh water comming out of the spring was cold I don't doubt. That must have been really neat to see.

Glad you had a good time.

TwoBit

Halocline?

So that's what them things are called, I've never seen one.

Foo, was there a funny little vision thing where the waters mixed? Like little squigglys in the water? Just wonderin', never been there where the fresh water mixes or if it does mix.

I've only snorkeled in Chankanaab park, used the entry point where the steps go in by the "cave" that's roped off; if you are in the water looking at the shore the ledge where the trumpet fish hang out is on the right.

The wife got brave; put her feet on the bottom step, held onto the rail, then omg, put her face under the water with a mask and snorkel on. She loved lookin' at the blue tangs and trumpet fish, but that was as far as she would go. Sometimes she does get brave though, will turn around and face the shower.

On one dive (don't remember which reef) we were drifting along next to the reef going south when we looked around and another group about 20 feet behind us was drifting north. The DM led us up a chute and we caught the current and started drifting back to the north away from the reef, and passed another group drifting south. That was neat.

Halocline- cool name. I just received an email from a friend, who informed me of that name, also. Sealskin, the halocline was very surreal, yes. I remember it as a glass-like sheet of "flatness" above me, with a shimmery/reflective glow. In my ignorance, I thought it was the surface of the water, an opening in the cavern, if you will. Are these the famous ceynotes of Cozumel? I half expected to burst through it, and remember submerging slightly. My husband pointed to it and reached up, but I didn't understand his signal. Also, I had my arm linked tightly through that of our guide, because even though he had discussed entering the cavern, before our dive, it was still quite exhiliarating and a new sensation in itself. I was content to cling and follow along for the ride. It was only while discussing the dive later that my husband explained about the cold water above us, and I understood what it was that I had seen. It was all part of the adventure- I still feel like I was in a really great dream! It was the closest thing to flying and exploring another planet that I can possibly imagine. I know I sound corny, but I'm too happy to care.
Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom