Cruise ship trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firedad23

New
Reaction score
My family and I (wife & 9 y/o son) are going on the Explorer of the Seas cruise in March. The stops are San Juan, Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St Maarten, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas. I dive and my son only snorkles and we want to find the best place to go. I only want to do one snorkle trip. Which island and what area is the best place to go? I dont really care if it is with a shop or not. I would be happy to just go off the beach with my own equipment. I live in WPB Fl anyway so I dont need an experience of a life time. I would just like to find something nice quick and easy. I am hoping there is someone who has cruised this area and can pass on their experience and advice to me. Thanks!

On this itinerary, I'd recommend St. Thomas at Coki Beach. There is shore diving and snorkeling right there, and since it's next to Coral World, lots of fish life (they do feed there to ensure it). Definitely wouldn't try diving/snorkeling in San Juan (logistics - best areas are quite far from San Juan) or St. Maarten (conditions). Nassau is also okay, but St. Thomas is the gem of the bunch for what you want todo.

Blue Island Divers will do boat pickups from the cruisehip docks at Havensight if you reserve in advance, and they are the best outfit I've dived with yet. They are nearby at Crowne Point Marina, and they specialize in small group & customized dives at great rates. Coki Beach is easy for shore dives, but the poor reef there is suffering from all the beginners damaging it, and the crowds can be overwhelming since it's right by Coral World.

Chris Sawyer is another very good dive shop, but they are much bigger than BID, so you get a lot less bottom time overall. Go with Harley at BID, he's fun and he'll take you to the reefs no one else is diving!

Firedad23:
My family and I (wife & 9 y/o son) are going on the Explorer of the Seas cruise in March. The stops are San Juan, Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St Maarten, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas. I dive and my son only snorkles and we want to find the best place to go. I only want to do one snorkle trip. Which island and what area is the best place to go? I dont really care if it is with a shop or not. I would be happy to just go off the beach with my own equipment. I live in WPB Fl anyway so I dont need an experience of a life time. I would just like to find something nice quick and easy. I am hoping there is someone who has cruised this area and can pass on their experience and advice to me. Thanks!

Call me lazy, but i usually just go through the ship. Coki point or beach is a ride from the ship, so by the time u get finished w/ cab back and forth u may be up to the price of ship's tour.
As for San Juan, I would not let my wife book a cruise that went there!!! Period.
Not familiar w/St. Maarten as last time i was there was before i started diving.
Nassau again went through ship and they used one of the larger operators.

Back
Top Bottom