Cruise ship diving- recommend operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're only picking one of those to dive, I'd lean towards diving in Roatan and doing other stuff in Belize - because the better Belize diving is too far away to get to quickly from Belize City, plus there is lots of interesting land stuff to do in Belize that you won't find elsewhere.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I think we decided for this trip we are going to skip diving and try cave tubing. Maybe next visit! (I think we are going to dive Cozumel and Costa Maya, maybe Roatan- but it looks like we may just snorkel Roatan.)

Thanks all for the recommendations. I think we decided for this trip we are going to skip diving and try cave tubing. Maybe next visit! (I think we are going to dive Cozumel and Costa Maya, maybe Roatan- but it looks like we may just snorkel Roatan.)

I think that cave tubing is not the best choice. Just came back from two weeks in Belize and did the cave tubing thing with a guide that used to work for the cruise industry. He told us all about how the industry works and what to look for when watching the cruisers coming through. Everything he said was confirmed in the actions we saw.

I would recommend that you should consider Lamanai instead. Just an observation YMMV.

Last edited:
Did the caving tubing years ago; it was a blast! Damn hot back there in the jungle though, as Lamanai would be also. But at least you would get wet tubing, eventually!

Lamanai is not particularly hot because of its position on a hill by a large lake. I would also recommend that as your best option. If it's impracticable given time constraints, Altun Ha is a reasonable alternative.

I think that cave tubing is not the best choice. Just came back from two weeks in Belize and did the cave tubing thing with a guide that used to work for the cruise industry. He told us all about how the industry works and what to look for when watching the cruisers coming through. Everything he said was confirmed in the actions we saw.

Care to share specifics? We aren't going with the cruise excursion, but I'd bet the guide we are booking through books 80% of his business (if not more) from cruisers.

Not interested in Lamanai as we just went to Uxmal.

The single best attraction in Belize if you can manage it is a visit to ATM - Actun Tunichil Muknal. Look it up. It is truly magnificent, and everyone who does it raves about it. But logistics may be difficult for you.

Care to share specifics? We aren't going with the cruise excursion, but I'd bet the guide we are booking through books 80% of his business (if not more) from cruisers.

DD: I too am curious as to what you mean. We had a blast cave tubing a few years ago. Used a guide but went to the Baboon Sanctuary first to avoid the cruise ship crowd, which was just leaving as we were arriving. I was amazed how many buses we passed coming out on our way in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom