Cruise Ship Diving or Independent Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a newly certified diver with only 5 logged dives, and I've decided to book both two cruise ship dive excursions and two through independent dive shops. The independent dive shops I chose for St. Lucia and Barbados (Scuba Steve and the Dive Shop, respectively) offer free round trip transportation to and from the ship so I'm not concerned about missing the cruise. While I'm a bit nervous because these will be my first ocean dives, I've informed the independent dive shops up front of my newbie status so they will know in advance so they can plan the dive accordingly.

The cruise ships will NOT wait for you if you are late, even on their excursions. I used to run a dive shop in Nassau, and Royal Caribbean left with 22 divers behind, INCLUDING THEIR OWN STAFF.

It is much cheaper booking direct with the dive shops, and you get better service.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Hello all. We just got back from Roatan, Belize and Cozumel a couple weeks ago and what I have found is the pricing is better if you do it on your own. It is very highly overpriced to book it through the cruise line. One thing I found to be a drag is if you are anchored out and have to take a tender boat to shore it really slows things down as opposed to walking down the gangway. I think doing a shore based trip will be done next time and just cruising to cruise. Maybe take advantage of other activities and excursions available. I really like the ability to dive on your own (with a buddy) Not follow the DM and maximize my air. Sea Sport Belize is highly recommended. Staff is fantastic. Had a nice lunch on the island. I had a lobster tail which I turned into a burrito. Very friendly and eager staff. Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit.

Scott

As a frequent cruiser and diver, I second (or is it third) the recommendations for making your on plans. To me the financial benefit is secondary. My main concerns are small groups; freedom to change the dive plans and longer dives. In addition the cruise ship will frequently cancel dives for weather. My very first cruise in Grand Cayman this happened. I got off the boat, met my ride and had two awesome dives....its an Island, there is always a good side. I have seen this happen on several occasions. IMO the more experienced you are, the more you will want to get away from the "cattle boats" and enjoy the areas away from the "crushed" areas of the reef.

I will also pile on for the location comments. The most expensive shipboard dive I know of is in Belize. Either pay the cruise line or go do something different (Ziplines and cave tubing are options!). The logistics of a 30 min tender to the port, driving past the cruise ship to the dive sites and return (~3 hours total travel on water) doesn't make it feasible. The Ship's operator picks you up directly off the cruise ship and takes you to the atoll where their shop is. After dives they bring you directly back to the ship as well. HOWEVER, we only got a 35-40 min dive because of other divers running low on air. Second cruise there we didn't dive.

I am torn between the shipboard excursion and private set up. I have been to Belize about 7 or 8 times on cruises but have only set foot in Belize once. As said thru the ship they pick you up at the ship and return you there. Other ports, the cost may be more, but include transportation to and from the operator. The one time I booked privately was in Curacao. The operator assured me no problem getting me back to the ship on time. I got to the operator and found I had to wait almost 2 hours before the boat would be leaving. At the end of the dives, time was getting tight. They did have a cab ready, but somewhere there was a communication error because the driver then waited for about a half hour for "another group". It turned out the other group was from another ship that was docked at a different pier. My heart was in my throat the entire ride as time got shorter and shorter. I did make it back to the ship before it sailed..... with minutes to spare. Next cruise going to try private booking again. Will let you all know how it works out.

The cruise ships will NOT wait for you if you are late, even on their excursions. I used to run a dive shop in Nassau, and Royal Caribbean left with 22 divers behind, INCLUDING THEIR OWN STAFF.

It depends on how many people are left and where the ship is heading.

If they're going from Curacao to Bonaire, they'll wait all night. If they have a long way to go, they'll leave anybody who isn't back on time, regardless of why.

That's why every time I get off the ship I have my C-Card, Credit Card, driver's licence and cash.

flots.

Lou, what was the name of the operator? This is the kind of info other cruisers need. The only time we have booked off the ship is in Belize and once when the itinerary was changed due to a storm. Never been close to getting left. Lots of comms with the operator and looking on SB for recommendations. THX!

We're new to cruising so for Cozumel in April we booked through DCL. I looked into an independent, and there are ton of highly recommended ones in Coz, but my wife felt more comfortable with booking through DCL than going on our own. We've never been to Cozumel before either. With that many unknowns facing us I didn't argue.

You can cancel the cruise excursion until you get on the ship....since you have until April, I highly recommend trying to book with Aldora. You just can't beat getting away from the crowds. They are located right in down town, so no long ride to and from. Best of luck!

+ 1 on booking your own dives. Just do your homework.

In Costa maya last year, I booked a 2 tank dive for me and beach excursion for the rest of the family through the same website (Costamayatours). The divers that booked through the ship, didn't get to dive, because the seas were too rough. They cancelled the excursion. I got my dives in later in the day, because my dive op was flexible, and figured the seas would subside later in the day, so let me spend my morning at the beach with my family, and then picked me up about lunch to go dive. After completed both dives, he brought me back to the beach where I had a margarita waiting for me. We all hung out at the beach for another hour or so before all heading back to the ship.

The year before, I used them and got 2 exursions in that year as well. I let them know that I would be diving later in the day because I had booked a dolphin swim through the ship and would do that with my younger kids first and would come to their dive shop as soon as we were done. My older son and I headed out after the dolphin swim and got in a great 2 tank dive with time to spare.

Guess who I'm booking with next year. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom