Cruise ship diving options ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Taking the cruise out of Jax to Bahamas stops in Freeport and Nassau...

Looking for dive options ?

Thanks !

Stuart Cove's is the cruise operator on Nassau. They pick up near the port and shuttle you to their south side location.

Bahama Divers might be another option, they're only about 10-15mins. by cab from the port near Paradise Island.
But their boats leave at 8:30AM. Years ago it took us about 1/2 hr. to get off the ship and thru customs.

The third option is Explore Scuba. IDK anything about them.

Those are your choices unless you want to do a private charter ($895) with Custom Aquatics.

Without the time constraints of the cruise arrival time, Bahama Divers would be my pick because I don't want to sit 45mins. on the Cove's shuttle each way.

This may help for Freeport - I've been but never dove there. Bahamas Dive Association - Members

Seems Nassau will work out with one of the above operators...

Is Freeport diving bad ? or just a hassle off the cruise ship ?

We have the option of going out of Tampa and doing G.Cayman and Coz, each for a day at near the same price.

Thanks for your comments !

Between your two options, I'd do Cayman/Coz - with one caveat. IDK about Coz but the likelihood of seeing sharks on Cayman is slim. Turtles and Stingrays are probably a given. We often saw larger schools of Eagle Rays also.

The likelihood of seeing sharks (and/or Dolphins at UNEXSO) is almost a given since both they and Cove's do feeds. Even if the afternoon Cove's shark dive schedule doesn't work for your departure time, at many of their sites, sharks will be waiting around. UNEXSO also accomodates cruise divers.

Generally Cayman/Coz diving is going to be deeper and possibly clearer also.

To make your decision even harder...:D - Cristina Zenato works at UNEXSO - I don't like shark feeds but I'd like to see this:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom