Cruise ship diving in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorref

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone done this? We have a cruise coming up in Feb., and I would hate to miss this opportunity, but we'll only be in port for 8 hours.
I found this: Bonaire Cruise Diving & Snorkeling - Dive Friends Bonaire
and of course the ship offers a 2 tank dive (for almost double), but as there will be 4-6 certified divers traveling, saving $$ to spend somewhere else is a concern.

Thx,
KevinL

Will you all be bring your own equipment? I ask because the rental rate at Dive Friends is $42 (bringing the total to almost $130).

When my wife and I were there last last year we booked through VIP Diving. As far as I'm concerned this is the nicest operation I've ever experienced. They are expensive, but for $150 you will get...
-a ride from the cruise pier (in a newer pick-up truck) to their store
-gear rental (full kit, of newer quality equipment)
-a DM/ driver that will ask you what sites you want to dive, and then will take you there and guide you on your first dive
-you'll be taken on a tour of the island, where we went included the slave huts and salt bogs
-lunch (simple sandwich, cookies, chips, soda/ water)
-second dive, location of your choice
-return to their store to wash gear
-dropped off at the pier

When my wife and I went we didn't mind spending some extra $$ (especially because my wife needed rental equipment). Now that we both own all our gear i would look at the dive friends price a lot closer.... $87 is cheap

Dive friends is just a short walk from the cruise ship docking spot... I use dive friends on all my trips to bonaire and they are a really great bunch of people...

Jim...

Several years ago my wife and I did a Discover SCUBA Dive with Dive Friends, they really are a good bunch of people. That first dive got me hooked!

You might check to see if Dive Friends is the ship's cruise op--they were a couple of years ago when we stopped in Bonaire on a cruise. If so, they likely won't book you other than through the ship. They did run a good dive excursion, so if they are the cruise op, I would not hesitate to use them. Having said that, if you have your own gear, you might also consider contacting Don's Habitat or Buddy Dive to see if they will let you rent the tanks and weights and dive off of their dock. It does not get any easier than that, and the diving is so easy that you really don't need a DM. Good reefs and diving with easy entry/exit. Both are a short taxi ride from the cruise port.

the dive friends @ dive inn location is the goto cruise ship diving spot. there are clusters of divers there each time a cruise ship docks. it is extremely close to the cruise ship docks and walkable in a few minutes. very convenient, no taxi / shuttle required. we stay next door at the divi and so get to see the clusters waiting to gear up and jam into boats. not my kind of diving.

they actively market to the cruise ship peeps, so i am sure they will take you. check with your cruise line to find out which local op does your crusie ship. I do not think any of the established large dive resorts accept cruise divers.

there have been a few threads on this subject in the last few years, check them out for additinal info. here is one Bonaire - shore dive with tanks on dock and good stairs with handrails

due to the cluster factor i would go with a more personal operation like VIP diving.

Can't go wrong with Dive Friends Bonaire.

Thanks for all the great ideas, suggestions and comments everyone; I go back to the cardiologist on Monday, so I'm hoping to get a stress test scheduled so I can get back in the water (CABG in Feb) before we go.

KL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom