Cruise Ship diving at Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have been to Fantasy Island so am familiar with diving there. In September we are taking cruise from Houston that stops at Roatan. Cruise is only 962 for two people for week since ship leaves from Houston.

My question is who are dive operators NCL uses in Roatan. i want to get in a dive there. This is new to me. have never dove while on a cruise. Numerous dive trips but this is a first. Called NCL. They have no idea. If anyone knows how it works there please advise

I found this on CoCo Views web site.

CRUISE SHIP GUESTS: CoCo View invites cruise ship guests and others who are on the island for only a short time to come by for to visit. Transportation to the resort, snorkeling, diving, and many other special activities can be arranged by contacting activities@cocoviewresort.com. Advance reservations are required. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

I know AKR does this as well but could'nt find anything on their wesite.

Thanks. Didnt know Cocoview welcomed cruise ship divers

We were there three weeks ago and I saw a couple of people that one of the DM's told me that were from the cruise ship.

Osmund was giving them an orientation and tour of the "Front Yard" before the boat dive. I would email the activities desk there at CCV and I am sure they will give you the low down on what's what. Same for AKR I'm sure plus if you have a non diving spouse AKR has the dolphin encounter.

Have fun wished I was going back sigh!!!

leiserom:
Have been to Fantasy Island so am familiar with diving there. In September we are taking cruise from Houston that stops at Roatan. Cruise is only 962 for two people for week since ship leaves from Houston.

My question is who are dive operators NCL uses in Roatan. i want to get in a dive there. This is new to me. have never dove while on a cruise. Numerous dive trips but this is a first. Called NCL. They have no idea. If anyone knows how it works there please advise
It was a few years ago that I did a cruise that stopped there, I think it was NCL, not sure, but I do remember that the operator that was used was Anthony's Key Resort as they met us at the pier (with the boat) and it was a very nice operation.

leiserom:
Thanks. Didnt know Cocoview welcomed cruise ship divers

Yeah, they do bring them in, onesy-twosey like, but it is not a mainstay and staple of the operation. You do the front yard, then they take you on a medium-long drop off dive to swim back in (or maybe a two tank boat dive- depends on your schedule). Truly the greatest part of CCV is the 'front yard', and the dives you go on will probably make you want to stay for a week. You will not interface to any extent with guests.... CCV keeps things seperate because weeklong guests don't want to be slowed down by cruise ship divers.

Simply by deffinition, a cruise ship diver is a slow down and difficulty to any dive op. First concern is the physical safety of some unknown vacationer with a c-card wanting rental gear (or not). CCV handles it well, but some resorts thrive on it and are designed for it- but a burden on the regular guests as well.

AKR handles a hell of a lot of tour ship guests. They make 90% of their money doing so. I forget the exact numbers, but they are staggering... maybe 300 bodies in a couple of days of Dolphin Circus activity. They know the drill intimately, kind of like going to a local ski hill and getting boots, poles and ski gear.

The single best day dive op currently playing the game is the long standing SubWay Watersports at French Harbour Yacht Club. Right next door is the "Italians" who run Wiakula Shark Dives. I'd skip the shark dive, you can do that anywhere, but Subway has great, fast boats, good DM's, etc. Attach yourself to your DM's flippers and watch what he points out. Go slow, not on your own.... and carry a magnifying glass!

I've been to Roatan bunches and have seen it all, but I always stay at CCV. If you have the inclination to see a resort that might keep a real diver off of the ship's manifest next year! :wink:

Thanks for the info. Stayed at FI about a year and a half ago for a week. Know the drill there. Drove all over the island. Would like to really take a "dive trip" but this is a compromise.

RoatanMan,

Hate to dispute your claim about AKR, but maybe the week we were there was unusual. We were at AKR last May, and on cruise ship day (Thursday I believe), AKR had about 10-12 people show up to dive from the cruise ship. They were put on one of the Pro-48's that AKR uses for special trips, and they appeared to have a blast based on the conversations we had with a few of them when they came back. There were quite a few others there for the dolphins, horseback riding, etc...but we only saw the 10-12 that went diving. Maybe it was a slow week, or maybe it was just a busy week when you saw more, but if I were coming from a cruise ship, I would jump at the chance to be 1 of 10 on a 48' boat. It will probably be the most personal space you will have all week.

AggieDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom