Cruise ship dives in GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any recommendations for cruise ship dive ops for a one day AM trip in Grand Cayman Dec. 29?. Our problem is we anchor at 0800, take a tender to shore then a cab to the dive shop. Most of the cruise ships seem to arrive at about the same time, so there must be dive ops that do this. Any local dive op has to be better priced than the shore excursion from the cruise ship.
Thanks,
DMdoogie

Fosters is the cruise ship operator most likely. If you're on one of the cruiselines they contract with, they can't book you privately due to their contractual obligations. Welcome to Don Foster's Dive Cayman - Cruiseships

Try Lobster Pot Dive Center in Georgetown. You can walk there and they book Off the Wall and Wall to Wall as well as a 3rd operator. Both OTW and WTW are 8 divers max. And work with cruise schedules. If you have time, you can also do the shore dive (Cheeseburger Reef) there. Grand Cayman Dive Operator - Scuba Training | Boat Dives | Shore Diving | Cayman Diving - The Lobsterpot Dive Center

I've cruised many times, and sometimes i use who the cruise line books thru other times i find my own. I usually research each port for dive operators based on info i receive through many forums. I found Don Foster's was the op that the carnival uses and it was the one that when I researched and found most positive reviews for. I've used them before and had no issues. In fact, the time I used them I did not bring my own equipment but decided to rent (with exception of my dive computer and mask). It was fine. Very good dive op and I would use them again for next cruise.

You can dive through fosters without the cruise line so long as you dont disclose you are on the cruise line.

Eden Rock - right there downtown, a great dive site, and so convenient! Enjoy!

At Grand Cayman, you will tender to the dock, and when you book a dive with the cruise ship, you get off the ship and on the tender on the first or second tender. The cruise ships unload their customers that have shore excursions first, and then open up the tenders to the rest of the passengers. You might find that you have a very long wait to get off the ship and it could press you for time with a dive op. Last time we were at GC we were not able to get off the ship due to high waves on the north side and a very limited tender capability on the south side. But had we been able to tender, the cruise ship divers would have made their dive and those who contracted outside probably would not have been able to get off the ship in time to make their dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom