Cruise Ship Divers Looking For Dive Op For “More Advanced” Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A group of three divers are looking for recommendation for a dive op who “might” take us on more advanced dive. We will arrive via cruise ship, which puts us in a precarious group of divers. We however don’t want book thru the ship…we have seen plenty of sand dives at 30FSW. I have owned two dive shops and managed a third, and the other two were instructors at all f them. So all of us have seen plenty of diver walk thru our doors proclaiming they have been diving since 1995. And when asked, “When was your last dive?” they say 1996.

We normally stay at CCV or AKR when in Routan. So diving one day off a floating city in Roatan is a new experience for us. I read previous posts back five years and it seems most of the comments were where not to go or fairly new diver. I did see one post mentioning Coconut Tree Divers first dive was a deep dive and the second dive either a reef or shipwreck. Diving deep is not a priority for us, just don’t want shallow, sandy bottom benign dives.

Any recommendations for Coconut Tree? Any other recommendations?

I've dived with Coconut Tree and enjoyed it. They try to taylor the diving with the experience of the divers on the boat. I can imagine, though, that being on a cruise, it may be difficult to find an op that can accommodate such a dive as you're wanting on a single day dive from a cruise ship.

Another OP you might want to check out is Sun Divers which is also in West End just up the street from Coconut Divers. I have not dived with them, but know people that have and they loved them. The only time my wife and I tried to dive with them, they already had the trips full.

Another shop in West End is Roatan Divers. Again, I have no experience with them but have heard good things. I understand they are more of a boutique dive op.
Regardless, since it is a 1 day stop, I would recommend contacting one or more of these shops well before you're stop there and find out what the might be able to do for you.

Here are some notes I made about Roatan dive operators for a cruise stop I made in April 2024.

Island Diving Center
18 min from pier
Islanddivingcenterroatan.com

Good SB reviews. Is in West End area which has better diving that AKR.

2-tank boat dive for cruise ship guests, $110 - includes transportation to/from cruise pier
Fully refundable if cruise ship can’t dock or canceled due to weather. Otherwise, 100% refund if cancel >24h in advance

-Will adjust pick up time for cruise ship
-Group divers into beginners, experiences, & pros
-Only 1 diver required, so won’t cancel dive if no one else diving
-Private guide $40/dive

4 boats, size 6-20 people. Look like have shade but not head

Roatan Dive Center
Main Road, Dixon Cove, IB3108
www.roatandivecenter.com
+504 9542-2577 (WhatsApp)
11 min drive from pier

Good 3.7.2024 SB Review

2023 price (2024 may be different) $113.85 for 2-tank dive (includes tax and transport to/from cruise terminal). Private guide additional $25 + tax per dive
3 boats, largest 14 passengers. Dive group size depends on divers in group but max 8:1
Shade, no head
-Select dive sites that day (max depth 60’, max length 60min/dive, but may be shallower)
-Showers/restrooms available back at shop
-Payment via PayPal.
-Offer refund if ship can’t dock due to weather or change of itinerary

For those divers who we have never dived with then each dive has a maximum depth of around 60ft/18mtrs (or shallower) and a maximum of 60 minutes in duration (Air permitting)
For those divers who find themselves low on air earlier, then the Divemaster will have the Group back at the boat around the 45-minute mark and have them complete a Safety Stop and Surface. The remaining divers will be able to dive longer if tank pressure permits.

West End Divers
15 min drive from pier
Good SB reviews
West End Divers, West End Road, West End, Bay Islands
+504-9513-2287
westenddivers.com
$90 for 2-tank dive for cruise ship guests

Coconut Tree Divers
coconuttreedivers.com
504.8795.8323 WhatsApp
email@coconuttreedivers.com
Good SB review & Trip Advisor reviews
15 min from pier

8.30a-2p; 2-tank $110 (including transportation) - separate boat just for cruise ship passengers so they make sure timing is right. Private DM $25/dive/person
1st dive is typically deep (80-130’) along walls or wreck, 2nd dive is shallower
Prefer cash, 6% credit card surcharge; also accept Venmo, PayPal. $30 deposit required at booking, non refundable unless ship cancels its port
Typical group of 8 divers. Everyone stays together
No minimum, will dive with 1 diver
Boats are covered, no head

Turquoise Bay Resort
Good SB reviews
35 minutes from cruise pier

Barefoot Divers
Good SB review mbwilliamn
Close to Mary’s Porch dive which is supposedly excellent.

Sun Divers
Good SB reviews
13 min from pier

8.30a 2-tank dive trip, $90

Boats hold 10-12
Max 6 divers/DM
Deposit required at booking, fully fundable >30d in advance, 50% >15d, 0% <14d
Cash discount

We normally stay at CCV or AKR when in Routan.
When I looked into it last year, AKR would let you come and dive with them for the day even if you weren't staying with them. They're about a 25 minute drive from the cruise terminal. Given how many taxis were around when got off on a cruise stop in April, it should be easy to get transportation to/from AKR.

i had a good time diving with coconut tree a little over a year ago. they seemed to allow for a wide range of diving, for example there was a woman diving sidemount a few of the days i was there and i'm pretty sure she was solo. also, they do some tech diving.
i suspect if you communicate in advance you will at least get straight answers and most likely be able to set up whatever kind of dives you want.

AKR is the dive op the cruise ships contract with. We dove off of a cruise ship in Roatan once years ago, and the AKR boat came over to the cruise ship to pick us up. They took us to a couple of dive sites on the south side, which were quality sites. Things may have changed since then, but maybe you could contact them via email and inquire?

Back
Top Bottom