Cruise ship attacked by pirates with pics!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archman, I think the cruise was on an Eastern Africa routing so it was probably just passing through Somalian waters on the way to Kenya? Lots to do in Kenya :).

BTW, after taking a look at the pics it seems that AK-47's and RPG's are the weaponw of choice for pirates/hijakers/terrorists/insurgents..

AK-47's and RPG's seem to be the most abundant weapons on the planet. And you're right about them being preferred by modern pirates. They are commonly employed by the groups found in Indonesian waters. Pirate central. Sometimes they take over freighters and smaller tankers and swipe the crews for ransom.

First question, were they AK-47s or AK- 74s? Both require ridiculous hold over at ranges over 400 yards. If you can keep the pirates at 750+ yards all but the most unlucky passenger should be safe.

The RPG-7 is more dangerous, it's effective range is 300-500m BUT it has a max range of about 1km if you are firing hoping for a hit. From a moving boat firing at a moving ship it is up to the skill of the shooter and wave conditions.

A .50 is the minimum I would want to keep the bad guys away. It's max range is only 7,450 yards...

MikeC:
First question, were they AK-47s or AK- 74s?
Are AK-74's readily available now? I thought they hadn't reached the mainstream black market yet.

archman:
Are AK-74's readily available now? I thought they hadn't reached the mainstream black market yet.

IF you really want one, I can tell you where to buy a demilled AK-74 kit. You can either build it yourself or have a gunsmith build for you. There are, of course, certain rules that MUST be followed.

Dang Mike, I wasn't asking for myself!:D

I just find it far more likely that a group of Somali pirate gunmen would have AK-47's. I guess a gun-savvy person could maybe tell from the pictures.

Looks like an original-version 7.62x39 AK-47. Not even the deflector below the muzzle meant to keep the weapon from climbing in auto mode, that showed up on some later versions. And certainly no muzzle suppressor like on the AK-74. I'd certainly consider it an area-fire weapon from a small boat -- but then, a cruise ship is kind of like the broadside of a barn...

All they need is a couple of 50 cals on board . You could sink there boat , take them out or even just take there motor out .

AK's are some of the more prolific weapons on the face of the planet next to sling shots and rocks. They are made in many countries, they've been made for a LONG time, and the ammo is available just as easily. They are a prime choice for the 'rebel' types because they can be buried in mud then pulled out and used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom