Cruise Friendly Dive Operator In Grand Cayman - Seasports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MEL-DC Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just returned from a family cruise vacation and wanted to provide you all with the name of a top-notch operator out of Grand Cayman - Seasports.

Background: This was my first cruise on a large passenger ship, and being with my wife and 2 very young kids, it definitely was not intended to be a 'dive vacation'. That being said, my father and I did want to get in some diving in Grand Cayman while we were there (it would be a crime not to, no?). I thus began my research, as doing the ship's excursions with 2,000 other people is not my idea of a good time - for a variety of reasons, and not being on a cattle boat with a bunch of potential disaster divers tops the list.

I settled on 3 Grand Cayman operators to whom I sent each an email with bullet points of what I was looking for. This was the first test. I actually expect a quick reply, to have all of my questions addressed, courtesy, and a degree of enthusiasm for the business. Greg Jacobs of Seasports got it exactly right. I suspect his former career in professional services has a lot to do with it.

I started out looking to charter a boat for a half-day, but upon realizing how short our time ashore would be, I changed the requirement to a single dive, with potential for a second. This was done not because there wasn't time for additional dives, but because we wanted to enjoy the beach a bit a take a stroll through the town. Greg managed the change in requirements with ease and spelled out exactly what we would need to do to get from the ship to him. This was not a big deal at all. A 10-minute cab ride from the port to the Seagrape beach bar on 7-mile beach - you leave right from the beach. This was great because I could set the family up on the beach w/ a chair and umbrella, and jump on the boat. Everyone's happy. Seasports will also pick you up via their boat if you are staying at any of the hotels on 7-mile beach.

The boat accommodates 6-8 divers, and Seasports provides the weight and tanks. They can also provide EANx upon request. I'm told that there are no richer mixes available in GC above 32. Must be pre-mix, but I'm sure that can be topped off w/ air to bring it down for the deeper dives.

After assessing everyone's ability and comfort level (there were only 4 of us on the boat - all experienced and frequent divers), Greg proposed Trinity Caves as the dive site. We all agreed on the site and Greg provided the dive plan as he would be leading the dive. Very thorough and detailed (again) and included a plan for egress based on air remaining that would allow maximum bottom time for all divers. All of this was open to discussion and revision (as it should be), and we proceeded to have an amazing dive.

Having experienced Seasports, I definitely will be using them the next time I am in Grand Cayman. Small boat, great attitude, attention to detail, accommodating nature, and great diving.

http://www.bestdivingingrandcayman.com/

MEL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom