Cruise and Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm traveling on a cruise ship (Canival) in December with members of our dive club. We will be in port at Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya.

Ship excursions in Belize or Costa Maya are not offered. Any suggestions for dive charters/shops that service the cruise lines in any of the ports that I can call and set up trips?

Thanks.
Virt

Can't help with Costa Maya, but depending on logistics (mainly timings) in Belize you could fly up to Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker, have a couple of dives on the barrier reef, a relaxed pace lunch and time to stroll around, and still get back to your ship in good time for departure. In other words, have some dives and experience something of the country during your brief visit. It's possible to do a curtailed version of this if you opt for boat travel instead.

You have to be careful that the ship will let you off quickly if you're not going on one of their tours - I have heard stories of DIYers being held back until the last tender leaves for land, which can easily delay you 30+ minutes.

Not many people do it this way but those who do really enjoy themselves, and feel they've actually visited the country. Leaves a bit of cash in the country too, instead of it all going to the cruise ship operator and out of the country.

Have you checked the shore excursions on Carnival's website? For Belize, they have two tank dives to Turneffe listed on the shore excursions. The last I heard, they were using Hugh Parkey ( http://www.belizediving.com/ ), so if your particular cruise is not offering diving, check with them to see if you can schedule your own trip. The problem with diving Belize while on a cruise is your port is Belize City. You are far away from the choice diving spots, and you need an operator who has a fast boat with a schedule friendly to your port times.

I have nothing for you on Costa Maya.

That's really weird.

They had used Hugh Parkey in Belize, who did a phenominal job.

You might want to give HP a call. If they're no longer contracting with Carnival, they should be able to take you diving. If you have a bunch of people, I'm reasonably certain they would match your schedule.

If I recall correctly, they picked up right at the dock where the ship tenders the passengers in.

Terry

Virt:
I'm traveling on a cruise ship (Canival) in December with members of our dive club. We will be in port at Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya.

Ship excursions in Belize or Costa Maya are not offered. Any suggestions for dive charters/shops that service the cruise lines in any of the ports that I can call and set up trips?

Thanks.
Virt

Hey Virt, looks like we're doing the same Carnival cruise only I'm going the third week in July. After reading this thread I'm leaning more toward diving GC and Roatan as it seems the prime dive spots in Belize are not near Belize City.

Any suggestions for cruise friendly dive ops in Roatan and/or Costa Maya would be appreciated.

Hector

I just got back from Costa Maya and dove with Blue Ocean Safari on 4-3-07. They are located in Mahahual, just a few minutes from the crusie ship dock. I did not want to dive with the operation that is contracted thru the crusie lines so I did a lot of research and found these guys. They were top shelf!!! Here is the website: www.blueoceansafari.com Phillip is who I spoke with to arrange my trip: Phillip@blueoceansafari.com I was also able to call him 832-752-0182

It is easy to find them. You take a shuttle from the crusie dock to the cab area then take a cab to the Blue Iguana, that is where their boats are moored. The dock does not let cabs pick people up there, that is why you have to take the shuttle. The cabs are able to drop you off at the dock though. I hope this helps and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Capt. Tim

Vis was around 85 ft., a lot swim thru's and not much current. The cuda's were plentiful as well as the langusta's.

Another outfit to look at in Costa Maya is The Maya Palms. My son and I dove with them last January while on a Royal Carribean Cruise. The resort is a small and very quiet. We were the only divers there, they have their own dive shop and small boats. The reef is just out front of their place. The visability was good and we had a great time.

My wife and daughter do not dive so they had the beach all to themselves. With our package we got lunch and it was really good. Check thier website and click on the cruisers link www.mayapalms.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom