Cross Roads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VegasDiver

Reaction score
After several months of intensive diving, assisting with openwater classes, and basically spending more time arround the dive shop than I do at home it appears I have wandered into a SCUBA divers Cross-Roads.

On more than one occasion I have heard "Are you dive Mastering yet?" and "Have you given thought to becoming an instructor?". Strangely enough I had not sought out or began the conversation that led to these questions.

I am best described as easy going and have an eye for detail. Most recently during a trip to Cozumel again heard those words "whay are'nt you..."

I guess it boils down to this, should I go through the Dive Master program, or skip it and go through to Instructor?

Hands down, I truly enjoy diving. Regardless of being in the Carribean or in the locak mud puddle with 1 foot vis.

If any of you has some insight, "things I would have done" or recomendations, they would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks

Garrett

the dm program is needed for instructor, its like the 1st step, but dont rush it till YOU are ready. be free and dive

VD, Mirage is right. You do need to be Dive Master certified before you can move onto Instructor. The step you can omit (if you wish) is Assistant Instructor. Though, to be quite honest, the AI course can be very useful.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

As others have mentioned, you must go through Divemaster to get to Instructor. As a DM who has worked with quite a few Instructors, I can strongly suggest you work as a Divemaster for a while before moving on to Instructor. Not only will it give you the knowledge of what a DM truly does in a class and how best to utilize them after you IDC, but you will really learn how students minds work, how to recognize potential problems before they arise, experience teaching styles from other Instructors. The best Instructors I work with, and those who have my respect, are those who truly worked their way up to Instructor and didn't take the fast track with minimum dive numbers.

Just my 2¢

Thanks for the great replies. I had the opportunity to sit down and really hash it out with the Instructor who did my OW and AOW. Since we both also dive together on occasion, we were both in the agreement that we would keep the DM training at a moderate pace.

Ron the shop owner was pleased to hear the decision, probally for more than a few reasons (nudge/wink). So there we have it, I'm enrolled in the SSI "DiveCon" program (aka DiveMaster). Let the adventure begin!

Any suggestions for the budding DiveMaster?

Garrett

The force is strong in you young Patawon. Embrace it!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Hey Vegas. Good move. Agree with the suggestion - be a DM for awhile before moving on to the Instructor level. I'm currently in the DM program (just 5 dives to go). I've been with instructors who barrelled through the DM straight to the Instructor, and others who DM'd for awhile. Byh far, I prefer the latter. Not only do they have a better understanding of what students need, they remember when they were DMs and treat the DM with the respect they deserve (and not as another flunky).

There were previous threads concerning equipment, and duties -- do a search for DM or divemaster. I found some excellent advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom